Essential accessories for car owners?

kramer2006

Hey folks. Unusual question.

I've recently bought my first car and I'd like to know what "accessories" experienced drivers have in their cars. I know that furry dice are a given, but I'm thinking tyre jack and other items essential for an emergency. What essential items should I buy for my new car?

Thanks.

disposable camera for pictures of scene of accident & damage

Fire extinguisher. If I didnt have one at hand I would have left the charred remains of my jeep on the M4 one sunday morning.

If you wear glasses - a spare pair! This is a legal requirement in Spain I think. I just keep my last pair in the car. The prescription typically doesn't change that much in my case - should keep me well within legal requirements. Just incase I sit or stand on them - not unheard of!

A12v Compressor that will work of the cigarette lighter. Possible to pump a flat tyre instead of changing on the side of the road in the rain

A high visibility jacket in the event of a tyre change etc. They only cost a few quid.They help keep your clothes clean as well. A lot of motorists need glasses.Make sure they can see you crouched down at the wheel.

A nail scissors.
Not for your nails, but if your hubcaps are held on with cable ties and you need to change your tyre, you need something to remove the cable tie!

I know that furry dice are a given

Does a furry dice have any function other than hanging from the mirror? I've often wondered why such a high proportion of drivers have them. Isnt for the asthetics.

hi-vis vest is a legal requirement in some countries. Very useful and cheap.
blue-tooth handsfreee phone kits can be had for e50-e100. Everyone should have one for safety.

also
can of tyre weld
torch
jump leads
spare bulbs and fuses.
rope
first aid kit
If you ever carry babies: nappies and wipes, baby bottle and packet of liquid uht formula milk.
small socket and spanner set, breaker bar
cleaning cloth
bottle of water.

All this stuff costs very little, and can be stowed away for emergency use.