Esker Meadows Lucan

igloo

Hello all,

I'm thinking of selling 3 bed-semi in this area of Lucan. The house is in a quiet cul-de-sac and not overlooked at the rear. Its currently rented out but we want to sell to cut our own (family home) mortgage down and to look at investing in N.I.

Anyway, whats the opinion/experience of time to sell in Lucan area?

I have an idea of asking price, and won't allow any agent to overvalue.

all advise appreciated

I would have thought the time to sell in Lucan was May 2006. There is a huge amount of property for sale, both new and 2nd hand, in the Lucan area. Unless you pitch the price at an appropriate level you may have to be quite patient.

As someone who recently sold in Lucan, (got a sale in October) I agree that the best time to sell was Easter 2006. Prices have dropped steadily since then. I sold for €16,000 less than directly next door to me,(similar to mine) a house that came on the market a week after mine five doors up had to drop another €8k to get a sale before Christmas, and another (which was an ex rental had to drop another €7k (thats €31k down since April 2006) to get a sale. having said that, all that have been on the market in my estate since the summer have now gone, so perhaps the market improved slightly after the Budget.

I found Smith Curley good from a selling point of view.

I know a girl who has had her house on the market in Lucan(Griffeen) since early August, still with no interest.

The market is now very limited in Lucan, most of the ftb's buying there will buy at Adamstown or the new development at St. Lomans, and there has never been much of a trade up market in the newer estates. Let me now if you need anything further info.

I plan to sell my house in Grange Manor, Lucan -sorry I did not do it last May, but its easy to be wise after the event. No one would have predicted what has happened in the market in general and specifically in Lucan with over supply. I have been told (not by auctioneers) is one of the most sought after estates in Lucan. I will soon know if thats true. Like the OP I will not be seduced by high valuations from Auctioneers just to get it on their books. I now that Park Auctioneers have sold one in the estale in September. Anyone else I should consider apart from Smith Curley as mentioned above? What is the norm %commission etc. Sorry if its felt that this post is off topic but I think its best here rather than start another thread.

I live in Finnstown Abbey and a neighbour of mine got a fantastic price for his house early/mid last year. I believe it was due to the lauch of Adamstown and all the publicity around it. Perhaps some people who had held out for Adamstown were a little disapponted with what they saw and started to consider buying in the estates closeby.

Unless there is a general softening of the market everywhere, I would imagine that the market should start picking up again in the springtime. There's a new sign up advertising the iminent sale of the next phase of Adanstown, so this may create more activity. I also think that the stamp duty uncertainty pre-budget may have put off alot of buyers.

Esker Meadows is a nice estate. I think generally FTB will gravitate towards new properties. If your property is not priced competitively (ie 345k for a 3-bed) you won't get much joy. There are alot of nice houses for sale in the lucan area, with big back gardens (some have gone to the added expense of adding a deck (Decklanders), patio etc).

Convertered attics don't add extra value and are a waste of money. Spend money on gardens, kitchens and wardrobes. Women close the deals. Appeal to Women.

Lucan, in general , is going through a bad spell <at the moment> (atm), due to the supply. If you sold last year, or knew somebody who did, you will understand.

If you want to sell, sell it. Undercut other vendors in the area. Else hold out or wait for market to return to the good auld days (last spring)

Redo

Thanks to all for your opinions and advise. I wasn't sure what the reference to May '06 meant but now I think I understand it relates to the Adamstown launch. I've been living in Galway for past 6 years so out of touch slightly...

Anyway, based on my comparative research on DAFT.ie and other sources, I'm prepared to take 370k and will hold out for it. Assuming budget change to stamp duty might entice FTBs

MandaC

>>I found Smith Curley good from a selling point of view.

Do you mind me asking what % comm. they wanted?