eSCAN Antivirus

G

Guest125

Has anyone tried the €8.99 eSCAN antivirus that aldi are selling?I bought the disc but because i've 6 months subscription left on my present anti-virus package I'll wait until its due for renewal.I hope I haven't bought a pig in a poke:(

Haven't heard of it, but there are some very good [broken link removed] out there (linked to from ClubMan's Key Post). I've been using [broken link removed] for a year and find it better than the likes of Norton/MacAfee — and it updates itself frequently and automatically.

Have to agree with DrMoriarty, am also using AVG free and find it good. Don't see any need to purchase any product

I use AVG - never any problems and as Dr. Moriarty says it updates itself - it is a great virus scanner specially for emails

Still using AVG after several years and can't fault it other than some unreliability with their update service about 6 months to a year ago.

I did use AVG and thought it was great until I got a trojan on my pc.I updated every week and was dissappointed to say the least but to be fair it did give me protection for a couple of months,my friends still claim it's the biz.However I am running Windows 2000 so maybe it's only geared for XP etc.

No single antivirus scanner alone offers 100% protection against infections/problems. You may need to run multiple virus scanners (normally only one confgured for automatic/on-demand scanning though), a firewall - preferably one that filters both incoming and outgoing traffic (e.g. Windows XP desktop firewall only does the former, others such as ZoneAlarm Free Edition do both), adware/malware scanners etc. AVG is not a panacea but it's a useful item in one's armoury against malicious software.

It's starting to look like a free plug for avg here.I looked into avg but the free version doesn't let me use it for indivdual accounts on the computer.The eSCAN does(according to the writing on the disc case).I'm using norton at the moment without any problems but it will cost about €50 when renewal time arrives in december,€8.99 is a lot cheaper! I was looking for info from eSCAN users if possible.

caff said:
It's starting to look like a free plug for avg here.I looked into avg but the free version doesn't let me use it for indivdual accounts on the computer.
What do you mean by this? I have it installed on several machines which have different user accounts. As far a I recall it just runs as a service and does the job. Perhaps you mean that only one (admin?) user can apply updates or something?

I mean that the free version can't be tweaked for individual family members(parental control),the subscription version can be tweaked as can the eSCAN.

caff said:
I'm using norton at the moment without any problems but it will cost about €50 when renewal time arrives in december,€8.99 is a lot cheaper! I was looking for info from eSCAN users if possible.

Are you sure? Maybe you mean it will cost you that to upgrade to the latest version but you can just renew the subscription and get the latest virus definitions every day/week/month. I've just renewed my subscription to Norton for another year at a cost of 11.30 sterling. At €8.99 eSCAN is cheaper but I trust Nortons and haven't had a virus in the eight years I've been using them so I'll stick with them.

It was definitely €50 for subscription renewal last october,it's the antispyware edition 2005.I didn't upgdade the package,just renewed it after the 90 day trial had expired.Think I'll ask for the price in stg at renewal time;)

Back