ESB wayleaves? Can ESB force neighbour to cut brances?

bb12

Does anyone know what the story with ESB wayleaves is?

I have to get a new electricity supply connected and it involves having to put a new pole on my site.

The electricity line has to come from a neighbour's house ESB pole in their front garden, but it will involve them having to have a lot of their mature trees, which line their road boundary, branches cut.

Obviously they're not going to be happy with this and I think they'll put up a big fight against it, but can the ESB make them do this i.e. make my neighbours give them a wayleave to do this?

There is really no alternative for me to get my ESB connection from any other ESB pole. What if my neighbours refuse?

Have a read at section 5.0 of [broken link removed]document.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Havealaugh, but i'm still not clear on whether they can force the neighbours to allow the trees to be cut for a new connection, considering they are their own private trees located on their own land along their boundary? They're also not very approachable people so I really don't want to have to get involved and discuss this with them personally.

Just because the ESB have a pole in the other persons garden does not mean they have wayleave access. They will need permission from the people who own the garden.

If the proposed ESB Wire is going across their garden, then birds/crows etc would sh*t on any clothes line etc

They generally only remove the bare minimun of branches.

Maybe talk to the neighbour and guage their concern, then the onus is on the ESB to offer an alternative

Thanks fot that berson but honestly talking to them about it, is really not an option. and i really can't see any other option the ESB can offer in this case.
Do i have a right to get electricity supplied no matter what?

Yes, the ESB must provide you with power.

The ESB does not originate from their garden, so they will either put up another pole.

I dont know the topography of your site, but they may need to add more pole to re-route the

i do tree surgery for the esb.

the esb are obliged to cut back branches from tree or even whole trees by HS legislation.it protects evryone from danger and ensures everyone has a supply. this is only the case for existing powerlines.
they must get the owner of the sites permission to cut backt trees to put up new poles and lines. the landowner has teh right to contest this. the esb have been known to enter peoples land and just cut trees and put up poles without anybody's permission...but this causes huge agro and tensions between neighbours.

i didnt get to read all replies from your op, but one did catch my eye-saying that they normally just cut back a few branches. i give my word, this is not always the case. it all depends on who is cutting the trees and what humour he's in and whats easiest.

your power will consist of low voltage power, therefore a legal limit of 2m clearence bwtn lines and trees must be established...and maintained. so every few years it will have to be cut again=ongoing agro.

there are other options...get the power from a diff transformer. get it under ground from the neareast transformer etc.

sorry if not very clear-just in from work and falling asleep!

i do tree surgery for the esb.
the esb are obliged to cut back branches from tree or even whole trees by HS legislation.it protects evryone from danger and ensures everyone has a supply. this is only the case for existing powerlines.

....and I'm glad too - I had an esb man / tree cutting man knock on my door last year to let me know that they'd be cutting down lots of branches from a tree that was getting too close to the line to my house (turned out it was my neighbour's tree they were talking about - so he went in & told them instead - he did make the point that is was just out of courtesy he was making us aware of this) now the line's nice & safe & clear of all branches :)

Back