ESB Networks And A Building Renovation Project

michaelthebrady

I recently bought a building that was vacant and converted from commercial to residential before the sale closed. I am looking to get the building up and running so I could move my family into it, I am trying for the fastest path.

I have hit up on an issue with ESB Networks that is blocking me. The buildings MPRN was terminated in 2015 but the power remained connected (I thought your MPRN was a constant one with your building but I have a scenario that shows that is wrong or it has changed recently). ESB Networks are saying that I need to get a new MPRN to get power to the new building and cannot register my current MPRN with a supplier.

The new connection fees are pretty hefty as well as some of requested changes to move through meter that would cost the guts of 10k.

I am not sure how to push back against them on it as on their website it says that I should be able to register with a Supplier and start again:

Any one come across this before? All ideas welcomed

If you click on your link above, and select the disconnection time of "More than 2 years"
You will see

If the premises is disconnected more than two years, you will need to apply for a new connection.

A site visit may be required to assess the situation. If no work is required to bring the connection point up to current standards, the premises can be reconnected upon payment of an energisation charge and receipt of a wiring certification.

If the connection point is not up to current standards, it will be treated as a new connection and a new connection charge applies. You will find our Statement of Charges
@https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/esb-networks-dac-statement-of-charges.pdf

Energisation charge is covered in table 5.1 of above document
The new connection cost, if required will be covered under Table 2.1

Thanks @Giggs11 for the information. I suppose my situation seems unique in that the MPRN was terminated but the power connection to the building was never turned off until last month. I would argue with as the connection is off less than 6 months that I should be able to turn it back on and get an account with a new supplier. That is not possible due to the MPRN being deactivated. ESB Networks are maintaining that I need a new connection cost and I also need to move my cabinet as well as other items. What happens here and is there a process to resolve these disputes?

They operate under the direction of the Commission for Regulation of Utilities CRU,
If you have submitted a complaint to ESB Networks and are still not happy, you can go to
@https://www.cru.ie/make-a-complaint/complain-to-the-cru/
Best of luck

Reactions: Leo
Too late now but the state of services should have been confirmed before the sale completed.

Just because the building is getting power from somewhere does not mean the meter number was active. You'll now need a registered electrician to provide certification that the electrical installation is up to current code.

Too late now but the state of services should have been confirmed before the sale completed.

Just because the building is getting power from somewhere does not mean the meter number was active. You'll now need a registered electrician to provide certification that the electrical installation is up to current code.
I suppose what I am trying to understand is what is the definition of being disconnected? Is it that they terminated the MPRN or is it when the building is no longer getting power? There are two separate actions there and I am not sure which one is the definitive one.

I suppose what I am trying to understand is what is the definition of being disconnected?
They would define it as disconnection registered on their system. It is their service and they are permitted define it as suits their purposes. A technical fault that results in the line still being live or someone otherwise bypassing their controls to obtain power would not override what they have recorded.

A friend bought a house handed back to the bank. It was 'newly built' but disconnected from the electricity for 3 years. The ESB quoted the New Connection rate and he had gathered up enough money to pay it. The issue now was the house has to meet current standards and the standards had changed in the few years since being built. An Electrician tested the current electrics and added switches for the under counter kitchen machines and signed off as meeting current standards. Putting the blind eye on other expensive changes to the regulations, such as CU (fuse board) height etc... The ESB reconnected the house and the bill arrived charging the standard reconnection rate. My friend was delighted!

Back