Esb meter marked with wrong apartment number

Larryk

Hi

We moved into our apartment (rented) a little over a year ago. Our electricity bill has been ranging between €40 to €80. We are fairly careful with our electricity usage as we've very little disposable money & didn't want to build up a big bill.

Today I had the Esb call to our apartment saying that our neighbour was complaining of higher bills than expected (no one lives in his apartment, it's vacant). The man from the Esb asked if he could switch off our electricity to check if he meters were mixed up when he switched it off the meter labeled with our number continued to move while the one marked with our neighbours number stopped. The man from the Esb said this is v common and is likely to have been like this since the apartments were built, over 10 Years ago!!

My question is, am I liable to pay for the extra electricity since I moved in last year? I have an awful feeling this could be very high as the other apartment was vacant so could be substianly more. I'm worried sick.

I think the best thing to do would be to ring ESB credit control when you get the revised bill,and get them to agree to accept the extra amount over maybe a year.
As to the size of the extra bill,do you have storage heaters and/or a heated electric shower?
The standing charges on a 2 month ESB bill are about €25,so I would have been very suspicious of a bill so low!

As you're very careful with the electricity the bill might not be as high as you think.

The landlord is at fault here for not having giving you the correct meter box so ultimately I think the blame lies with him and therefore the costs.

Thanks for the replies.

We were a little surprised by our first two bills been so low but thought nothing much more of it when our bills were read not estimated.

It's a private apartment block each apartment is owned separately.

Yep we have storage heating, the shower isn't electric but needs the immersion to heat it & basically everything else works off the electricity.