ESB Electric Ireland: "Pay as you Go" PAYG prepay electricity meters & arrears

RichInSpirit

I've had an Electric Ireland Prepay meter installed a few days ago.
I was a little behind with my bill so this was offered as an option.

It has a lot to recommend it.

Firstly there is a 4% discount on the electricity price as you are paying for it in advance.

Bill arrears are dealt with by 25% of every top up going towards arrears.

Thirdly it's a lovely modern meter with heaps of information.

So far I highly recommend it.

I didn't realise there was a 4% discount. Thats a good incentive. I don't want a prepay meter but if someone is not in arrears can they get one installed? Any installation charge?

I remember my parents had a meter back in the 70's right up to the 90's. It used the 2 shilling coins/ ten pence coins. I don't remember the meter reader emptying the box of coins, maybe he did that when I was very small. The odd time we'd forget and the " lights would run out ". I think you just type in a top up code now or use bank card.

The man who installed it had 3more to install that day.
You top up using payzone to get a code which you input into the meter. €10 is the minimum top up.

Do you not pay double the standing charge though? i.e. you pay a daily standing charge for the meter PLUS you still pay the ESB standing charge?

Standing Charge

According to the meter the standing charge per day is 46.03 cents.
And unit price is 18.47 cents.
Both including vat I assume.

According to the meter the standing charge per day is 46.03 cents.
And unit price is 18.47 cents.
Both including vat I assume.

wow!! Standing Charge 46.03 = €168 annual charge before you use a drop of juice at all.

ESB Standing Charge 30.36 = €110 Annually.

Unit price: 16.99.

I cant see your 4% discount on unit price, looks more like 4% increase

I'd only recommend these yokes as a last resort.

wow!! Standing Charge 46.03 = €168 annual charge before you use a drop of juice at all.

I think that standing charge includes recovery of arrears due.

I'd like to see that on one of their websites. A quick search didn't find me any hard facts.

30.36 plus 13.5% vat is 34. 45 cents including vat.

16.99 plus 13.5% vat is 19.28 per unit including vat.

Conversely 16.99 minus 4% =16.3104 plus 13.5% vat = 18.51 which is not equal 18.47, so my 4% discount is wrong :eek:
It should be a 4.4% discount.

I cant see why Electric Ireland dont give everyone the option to get one of these. I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) would be happier to pre-pay their electric bill and not to have to wait for the surprise bill at the end of the month.
I know a lot of landlords use these in the UK. It cuts out a lot of issues with transfering accounts, etc

If EI won't give you one of those meters, there are several other companies in that market. I'm sure one of the others would facilitate you, www.prepaypower.ie for example.

EI will only give these to people in arrears. They don't want to know if you just want one and are in good standing.

Prepay power will give anyone a meter.

I'm with prepay power and I find it great. I know that technically it works out more expensive however for me who is terrible at budgeting, knowing I won't get a shocker of a bill is worth it. Also as my meter is in the hallway at the foot of my stairs I am very conscious of wasting electricity as I can visually see the meter counting downwards which reminds me to knock off the Emerson, dryer etc. I have a prepay gas meter also from bord Gais which I would not be without. No scary bill in times of extreme cold weather.

The private companies like prepaypower have an 'annual service charge' according to this anyway.

How Much Extra Does it Cost ?
There are companies such as Prepaypower and Pinergy that will install a meter for free if you switch to them as your electricity supplier. The basic unit rate they charge is the same as the Electric Ireland “Standard Rate” (which is their highest rate) – BUT they also add on an annual service charge of €136.69 .

So that means someone using PrepayPower who consumed 4000kwh a year of electricity would end up paying €1065 a year if they went with a prepay meter from Prepaypower. The same usage would cost just €839 with Airtricity (Direct Debit and ebilling). That’s a difference of €226 a year . For people on low incomes – that is a significant amount. See more details of the Lowest Electricity Prices

The use of prepay meters might encourage people to use less electricity – especially if they keep running out of credit ! In our opinion – for most people it makes more sense to switch to the lowest priced supplier if possible – and then be pro-active about cutting down your electricity usage rather than getting a prepaid electric meter installed.

http://www.*****************.com/category/electricity-charges

The discount with a prepay meter is not as great as the discount for have a direct debit. Prepay meter are not aimed at that market, they are great for someone who finds they incur charges from bounced direct debits.

I cant see why Electric Ireland dont give everyone the option to get one of these. I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) would be happier to pre-pay their electric bill and not to have to wait for the surprise bill at the end of the month.

As Time said above if you're in arrears they'll offer you one so don't pay a few of their bills ( keep the money aside !!) and wait for them to offer you a prepaid meter.

A workmate wanted to get a prepay meter but has always paid bills on time and is not in arrears, so bord gais said it would cost him €110.

There is no such thing as a 'free' meter/lunch:)

Back