ESB cuts off 900 houses a month

The ESB is run as a business and returns profits to the exchequer.
And now it has competitors so it can't just write off money.

If people need support and can't get it then that is something missing from Dept of Social Protection. The community welfare officer can help here also.

I'm sure if people on Socal Welfare get free electricity we'd have a multi-page thread moaning all about it.

For what it's worth, I'd rather suspect that a large proportion of these disconnections aren't hardship cases but simple non-payment of bills - rentals / abandoned properties.

Exactly - Poles, Lithuanians etc leaving the country in many cases I'm sure.

Does the figure of 900 cut-offs per month include or exclude all those people making the "big switch"?

Do you have evidence of this..i'm sure god fearing Irish would never do such a thing

I never suggested Irish people wouldn't do such a thing!

Jeez...yiz are all PC poisoned!!

What I am suggesting is that there is proportionately more of this happening nowadays because proportionately more people are leaving rented accommodation, and the country, at short notice. And most of these statistically will be, I'm hazarding a guess, Eastern Europeans.

I have direct experience of 2 polish couples doing this - and I only know about 15 or so Poles.

Well I'll put it this way:

Emigration has increased fairly dramatically over the last 2 years or so. The majority of people leaving this country seem to be Eastern europeans.

I personally know two Polish couples who left without paying utility bills.

If you cannot accept the above as a reasonable suggestion without empirical evidence then I suggest you look for the evidence yourself - you might be surprised at what you find.

It said on the RTE news last night that 99% of houses that had ESB cut off were re-connected within 48 hours.

It said on the RTE news last night that 99% of houses that had ESB cut off were re-connected within 48 hours.

The one fear I would have with the figure is where some people are finding the money to get reconnected. Are they being forced to use money lenders?

I am not convinced that it as big a problem as the media are making out but still worth taking a closer look at the figures to see who isn't paying.

Per the Sindo, the ESB are cutting off power to 900 households a month because they can't pay their bills.

Just like to correct the above. The ESB are not cutting off power on anyone but they are disenergising people who dont or can't pay their bills

It is a big problem for the poor and newly unemployed and it is not media driven if I can believe (as I do) friends who work in the front line of things