Esb Costs

racso

Just got my ESB bill yesterday and found out that i pay more of a standing charge because i am a rural resident then if i was an urban resident!!!! Surely this is a form of discrimination. they said in the letter that it was due to the fact that it cost more to connect rural residents we still paid 1300 though for the connection and telecom dont charge more due to the fact you dont live in a rural setting nor do an post or even the bin man whom it is definately facing large over heads collecting rural compared to urban rubbish. What can be done about this?

Rasco make sure that you are actually living in a rural area. I say this because last year it came to light that ESB was billing people living in housing estates in Meath as rural customers yet they were treated by the County Council as being part of a town or village. Some local public representative in Meath was on RTE radio about it.

If you are living in a rural area then I think that the relevant legislation permits ESB to charge more than they can for urban customers. This is due to the ongoing cost of line maintenace being higher. Engineers spending lots of time checking kilometres of power lines to sparsely populated areas. Don't know how if the bin charges are higher according to rural/urban location but I don't know if comparing cost of bin collection and esb supply is a like for like comparison.

Back