ESB Bill massive

So 4 hours night time at 3KW immersion is the same as 6 units per day. I use it for 30 to 40 minutes daytime mostly which is max 2 units. 4 units per day is 80 cent times 60 days = 48 euros per bill more than I use in a one bed apartment. Add your 40 minutes fan heater and towel heater, the fact that there are two people, that you probably use the washing machine more often than I, you have a drier. You would be well over a a hundred per bill more than mine. My winter bill is 180 and I'm on the cheapest provider as I move every year. I think your bill is correct given the information posted.
1) Switch off towel heater
2) Stop using fan heater for 40 minutes (a quick 3 minutes boost warms the place up quickly)
3) Consider using the boost rather than night time heating BUT this could be tricky if you're on a dual thermostat
4) Do you have a dish washer ? If not then you won't have water on demand for cleaning dishes if you change above.

That is true, there is a pump, not part of the shower as such as tank is downstairs and shower is upstairs so it's a pump in the hotpress that I had to install to have hot water upstairs at all. Not sure what that system is technically called. Although if I wanted to give grandkids a bath, now not a very full bath obviously I would still only give it about 20/30 mins to get sufficient hot water.

Re fan heater too, I have one of those but would only use for very quick heat in morning to get dressed or similar, if I want a longer period of heat I use an oil filled radiator, not instant but cheaper once it gets going.

thanks @elcato the same conclusions as I have come to. I've stopped the fan heater completer, the towel heater will get about 45 mins per day now. Dryer usage reduced considerably and the clothes horse has been dusted down!

thanks @elcato the same conclusions as I have come to. I've stopped the fan heater completer, the towel heater will get about 45 mins per day now. Dryer usage reduced considerably and the clothes horse has been dusted down!

When was the last time you changed supplier? Well worth your while checking out www.bonkers.ie .

I've stopped the fan heater completer, the towel heater will get about 45 mins per day now. Dryer usage reduced considerably and the clothes horse has been dusted down!
Great. Let us know when you get your next bill did things improve as it will still be cold come end of March. I would still take readings periodically to see how things progress.

When was the last time you changed supplier? Well worth your while checking out www.bonkers.ie .
6 months ago and in contract currently (Electric Ireland) so not an option.

Sure I will keep an eye on the meter. I'd be happy with 40 quid reduction. Fingers cross. Thanks again all.

I would have thought checking bonkers.ie and switcher.ie was the best option also but just decided recently to have a look at Money Guide Ireland and saw this:

'If you are already with Electric Ireland – then the best price for switching both fuels to one supplier is available on the Energia website using the promo code CHEAPEST1DUAL . You will get 36% off their standard electricity rates and 35% off their gas rates for a year.
This deal will work out at €1493 in year one. You won’t get this deal with Bonkers or Switcher.)'

Our bill came to 250 for the 2 months. I know what it is though. Tumbe dryer is in constant use.

I know we have had lots of tumble dryer weather recently and they are a necessary evil but they sure do run up the bill.

I stumbled across an article on Google recently (and needless to say can't find it now) where they stated that the worst version for using electricity is an older vented machine. It recommended getting rid of your machine if it is still a vented version which seems quite a drastic move to me and would have to wonder how much use/used electricity it would take to recoup the replacement cost.

When I was thinking of changing ours some time ago I think it was a heat pump verison that suppliers were talking about and they seemed mad to me :)

Back