ESB apprenticeships 2019 - mature applicant

ATC110

Although an upper age limit is not allowed, are there many mature (middle aged) successful applicants for an ESB apprenticeship?

I've noticed aptitude test preparation courses mentioned - is it worth doing?

Some people (like me) have an aptitude for sarcasm. I doubt it worth doing any prep course. Details of assessments below . .

You will have 5 assessments to complete which will take approximately 60 minutes in total. An outline is given below:
1. Numeracy – This online assessment measures numerical comprehension. The task involves completing an equation using numbers 1-9 so that it equates to the correct answer. The timed section of the assessment lasts for 5 minutes and this is preceded by full instructions and an example section.
2. Understanding of Basic Instructions - This online assessment that measures the ability to find and interpret written information in passages of text. The timed section of the assessment lasts for 8 minutes and this is preceded by full instructions and example questions.
3. Deductive Logical Reasoning - This online assessment measures the ability to draw logical conclusions. The task is to analyse operators, determine their sequence and apply your learning to the question. The timed section of the assessment lasts for 5 minutes and this is preceded by full instructions and an example section.
4. 3D Spatial Reasoning - This online assessment measures spatial reasoning capability. The task is to create a pattern which, if folded, forms the shown geometric shape. The timed section of the assessment lasts for 10 minutes and this is preceded by full instructions and an example section.
5. This online assessment measures mechanical-technical understanding. The task involves answering questions related to several mechanical topics. The timed section of the assessment lasts for 15 minutes and this is preceded by full instructions and an example section.

Really? Ok so everyone has an aptitude for everything. I didn't know that.
I did the aptitude test through FAS years ago when I did my apprenticeship. A 12 year old could pass it. The current one is a little more comprehensive but no harder.
If you remember to put your shoes on after your trousers, can cross the road unaided, open and close doors etc then you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Although an upper age limit is not allowed, are there many mature (middle aged) successful applicants for an ESB apprenticeship?

Any reason you're tempted to apply to esb rather than an electrical contractor? At one time, ESB apprenticeships used to be highly sought after but in recent years, I've noticed a number of apprentices joining contractors, having left esb. That was very rare until recently.

Back