Error reporting to Microsoft

rheinie

A number of times recently when I turn on computer I get pop up from Microsoft saying that computer has just recovered from fatal error and to send error report to Microsoft .My question is could some one explain to me exactly what is happening here and how can I rectify problem.I must add that computer has just ( frozen ) a few times and I have to turn off and restart.What is the problem .Thanks

Any time a system error occurs or an application crashes (whether MS or not), Windows will generate this pop-up. If you choose 'send', it will send a technical error report to Microsoft which they say will assist them in improving their software and will contain no information identifying you personally. It's up to you... :)

If your computer is crashing regularly, you should
(a) check your hard drive for errors (right-click on C:, choose Properties/Tools/Error-checking and follow the instructions. Tick the boxes to 'automatically fix file system errors' and 'scan for and attempt recoveryy of bad sectors). This will require you to reboot so that the disk-checking can run before Windows starts up, and it may take 30 mins/1 hour, depending on your PC.
(b) explore the possibility that you have a 'trojan horse' infection or some other virus. See the links provided in this Key Post.

Back