Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood 2008 Concert

mathepac

BBC1 11:50pm to-night

preceded by

BBC1 10:50pm Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop. I'm not sure if this the Californication story or the 1960's / 70's London blues band with Peter Green and "Little" Danny Kirwin.

Too tired to watch after shaking my way through "Great Balls Of Fire" on MGM Movies :cool:

What a concert, one of the best telly sessions I've seen. Its forty years this year since the Blind Faith super-group broke up but it was like they'd segued seamlessly from a studio down the street to the concert, only pausing to pick up a new, well-drilled rhythm section on the way. Willie Weeks on bass having the time of his life seemed to have a grin from ear-to-ear anytime he was on screen.

Steve was the star of the show for me featuring on guitars, Hammond organ and that incredible voice (no Ray Charles "standards" unfortunately). They ripped their way through Hendrix ("Voodoo Chile", 15 mins), Traffic and so on with an appropriately psycha-prog-rock version of "Dear Mr Fantasy" to finish. Apart from these the high-lights for me were “Forever Man”, “Presence Of The Lord”, “Can’t Find My Way Home”

It was great to see a relatively young audience enjoying wrinkly psycho-prog-blues-rock at its absolute best.

BBC1 10:50pm Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop. I'm not sure if this the Californication story or the 1960's / 70's London blues band with Peter Green and "Little" Danny Kirwin.

Too much Stevie Nicks and not enough Peter Green for my liking in this - still great, though.

... not enough Peter Green for my liking in this - still great, though.
+1. A tragedy to see his mental health, his life and musical talent destroyed the way it was. It struck me again last night during the Clip of "Oh Well" just how much like Jimi Hendrix's his singing voice is.

For what it's worth BBC4 are having a Fleetwood Mac night this Fri 6 Nov. AND are repeating the Eric Clapton-Steve Winwood concert too! The night finishes with a profile of Peter Green. I saw Steve Winwood in concert a couple of years ago... brilliant!

Yeah noticed that - I'll give it a look.

As a general rule all music heads should really keep a close eye on BBC4 - all sorts of unusual and wonderful things going on there sometimes.

+1

I wish it was easier to access their iPlayer from outside the UK.

At least they seem to be re-running those two on [broken link removed].

Different decade, very different ethos but for fans of synthpop/rock, exotic locations, yachts, champagne, supermodels and really much better music than they are often given credit for (together with a very underrated bass player), this Friday on BBC4 seems to be something of a Duran Duran night.

I'll be watching anyway. :)

Back