Erecting a fence alongside a boundary wall

A section 5 will certainly set you straight.
A section 5 asks for a site location map, and a site layout plan and scaled elevations. The land registry map I got when I bought the house is probably the site location map, but will I need to get an engineer or architect to draw a site layout plan, or is this something that's held by some State body? Similarly with the elevation map. Does someone hold that already?

...but will I need to get an engineer or architect to draw a site layout plan, or is this something that's held by some State body?

You should be able to put one of those together yourself. Run a planning search on your local authority's planning site and see what others have submitted for the layout plan. The quality of these can really vary, so longs as it's clear and accurate, it should do the job.

You should be able to put one of those together yourself. Run a planning search on your local authority's planning site and see what others have submitted for the layout plan. The quality of these can really vary, so longs as it's clear and accurate, it should do the job.
Cheers. And any idea about an elevation map/plan?

Again, it's something you should be able to draw yourself. There are a number of methods you can use to determine differences in heights across your garden.

Again, it's something you should be able to draw yourself. There are a number of methods you can use to determine differences in heights across your garden.
Thanks, I must look those up. Certainly sounds cheaper! I'm going to hire someone to put up the fence - one of my worries is that they will be met with a torrent of screaming and harassment from the neighbour protesting that their light is being blocked (even though the wall is north facing from their backyard) as the fence goes up. It would be a pretty ugly working environment for the guys who do it. Any advice on what I should do there? I'm going to have one chat with the neighbour but I anticipate they won't agree to any structure (even though it'll be entirely on our side). They grow some plants on the other side of their wall and hang their washing from that wall and will probably protest that the fence casts a shadow. The fence will be no where near any part of their house/windows.

It would be a pretty ugly working environment for the guys who do it. Any advice on what I should do there?

Let the contractor know about the potential issue so they are prepared for the conversation, many will be used to dealing with this.

Have the conversation with the neighbour, acknowledge their concerns and try remain calm.

Let the contractor know about the potential issue so they are prepared for the conversation, many will be used to dealing with this.

Have the conversation with the neighbour, acknowledge their concerns and try remain calm.
Good advice again. Thanks. There's a support pole remaining on the wall that suggests an earlier fence. It appears to have been 2m tall on their side - or 2.4m tall from my side. That would be perfect for me. I wonder should I chance putting up a fence that's 2.4m this time....Or should I do a Section 5 and risk being told it's not permitted...

I wonder should I chance putting up a fence that's 2.4m this time....Or should I do a Section 5 and risk being told it's not permitted...

If it was me, I'd chance the 2.4m based on my reading of the regs.

This situation is evolving: if my fence (or transplanted hedge) casts a shadow on the neighbour's clothes line, can it be ordered to be taken down? They've been in their house for 20 years, we're recently arrived. The current wall is only 1.2m high so there is zero privacy.
And how do these things play out: can they stop the workers actually putting up the fence, or does the dispute happen after it has been erected?

if my fence (or transplanted hedge) casts a shadow on the neighbour's clothes line, can it be ordered to be taken down?

No. If that were possible there wouldn't be a tree left in suburbia. Also consider how low the sun would need to be in the sky for a 2m wall to cast shadow on a clothesline at whatever height that is at.

can they stop the workers actually putting up the fence,

Assuming these workers remain on your property, again no, they cannot interfere.

No. If that were possible there wouldn't be a tree left in suburbia. Also consider how low the sun would need to be in the sky for a 2m wall to cast shadow on a clothesline at whatever height that is at.

Assuming these workers remain on your property, again no, they cannot interfere.
Thanks. I anticipate that this will be the line of attack: a right to light. The clothes line is being used during every daylight hour since we measured the wall, presumably to assert that they have long-enjoyed their clothes line being in the light.

If they become really petty, I could point out that the pole of the clothes line, as measured from our side is 2.3m high and should have got planning permission :)

Back