Equity SSIA to Hold or Cash In.

speedbird1

I like many others held on to my Eagle Star equity SSIA and continued to add contributions until recently. The fund took a beating but has recovered some of the losses while remaining a long way off its peak.
I would appreciate any advise on what to do now, is there a poiiibility of further recovery in such funds or should I cash and invest in something else.?? I know it will never get back to the level it was prior to the crash.
I am retired and do not need to access the money at present.
I would appreciate any observations from the fourm experts.
Thank You

I'd encash it and either:
1) Put the proceeds into a lower risk fund into single premium product (also reducing your annual charge as SSIAs had a higher annual charge in many cases)
2) PUt it on deposit at the best rate available

don't know Im actually wondering the same thing. Im still paying into it, everyone says don't cash it in though so dunno. Tis hard when you don't work in or understand finance and have nobody to get advice from

Just my tuppence worth, but I'd make the decision based on where the SSIA is invested. If it is primarily Irish stocks, I would cash in right now, because this country is going to be a basket case for the foreseeable future and the market gains to date may be overstating the prospects for recovery.

If, however, it is invested in Germany, China or UK, I would say hold onto it, as the recovery seems to be getting traction in these markets.

If US or Japan, it is 50:50.

Can you cash in 50% of your holdings only - this might be an option to you?

oh God not sure about that but i do know some of it's in Irish property and 50% is invested in Risky Irish companies and the other 50% is in not so risky business in Ireland. Not good by the sounds of it. Hard to know what to do because some people say if i dont need it in the next 8 years which I dont to hold onto it and continue investing. I think at this point if I took it out I would have lost 4 or 5 grand of what it was at it's peak. I was kinda hoping at some stage to recover that loss

It's all a punt anyway pAnTs. If it was me and I was concerned I would be inclined to spread the risk. You will have made some gains since about March this year so you shouldn't be as far down as it was, look at cashing in a portion of it and moving it to invest elsewhere. It will mean you will realise a loss on your investment but there is an observation that humans are particularly bad at letting go. They tend to value things based on what they have invested whether or not that investment is realised in the value. The more they have put in the harder it is to let go.

ue at least now I haven't money I actually had, the valuation it's at now is the same as the amount I have actually paid. I've lost the government insentive and the money I had made on the shares when they were performing well. What do you mean by spread the risk?? if I go into AIB and talk to them obviously they will only be looking after their own interests and I hear financial advisors are expensive??