Eoin Morgan - who's that?

mathepac

Without searching in the interwebby thing, who knows who this young man is and why he's been in the news recently? (all right the spelling of his first name is a bit of a giveaway).

Forgot that bit. Yeah, just enough to say you know who he is and why he's in the news.

mathepac - Do you mean; "Eoin Morgan - howzat?"

I'll get my coat....

Close enough

Yeah, described on some English cricketing fourms as an "Irish-born Englishman" or a "Dublin-born Englishman", it's great to see a CUS past-pupil doing well in the international sporting arena in a fairly unusual sport (for Ireland that is). It's just a shame as he'd represented Ireland in the under-age teams that we couldn't keep him at home. Playing first-class county cricket in England his next move was almost inevitable. With a bit of luck when his hopefully long playing career is over, we can get him back as a coach / alikadoo.

It's great to hear the interviews on Sky with his distinctly Dublin speaking voice. (Cue team briefing at the MCC "Jeyes, hold on a second there bud, yiz are wreckin' me bleedin' buzz")

He recently hit the headlines by graduating from the 2020 stuff to being considered from the "real" England team. Oh and I like to think of him as an Irishman who happens to play his cricket in and for England, a sporting mercenary so to speak, a modern Wild Goose, or should that be Duck

And what about Ed Joyce?? Adopt a Paddy for the english cricket team.
It seems as Ireland arent a TEST side its players can be adopted by
the country they play in.(Wayne Rooney is another one

I am almost certian that Wayne Rooney's brother declared for Ireland. Will have to check that again though.

Ed Joyce could be back with Ireland for next year's WC. Something about there needing to be 12 months between your last competitive game for one country and the next. Seemingly there is only 11 months for Joyce but the Irish cricket board (?) are lodging a request with the ICC.

There's a long tradition in England of selecting players on the ground of residence, e.g Alan Lamb, Chris & Robin Smith, Kevin Pietersen.

If that's what he has to do to fulfil his sporting ambitions, good for him.

I can only think of Gary Waddock. Who else was there?

To name a few of the players, born in England but who declared for Ireland ..

Kevin Sheedy, Terry Phelan, Tony Cascarino, Steve Heighway, Matt Holland, Tony Galvin, Chris Hughton, Andy Townsend.

Only some of whom England may have missed

To name a few of the players, born in England but who declared for Ireland ..

Kevin Sheedy, Terry Phelan, Tony Cascarino, Steve Heighway, Matt Holland, Tony Galvin, Chris Hughton, Andy Townsend.

Only some of whom England may have missed
David O'Leary, Paul McGrath.

Ah but David O'Leary and Paul McGrath grew up in Ireland so we can "claim" them

Steve Heighway was born in Dublin

Jamie O Hara(now that he is not in England squad) Hope hes
told where to go.
Terry Mancini(first ever I think)
After Shay Brennan(sorry)

It is good to see an Irishman doing well on the international scene.

The England 2020 team that Won the World 2020 recently
had a few players from other countries. The 5 that batted in the final were
MJ Lumb born South Africa
C Kieswetter born South Africa KP Pietersen born South AfricaPD Collingwood born England EJG Morgan Born Ireland

Shame that Ireland never had this success with our "grandfather rule" players.

At least the British born players who played soccer for Ireland had Irish parents/grandparents. A lot of players who play for the English cricket team have no connection with England other than they play some of their club (i.e. county) cricket in England.

Ah but David O'Leary and Paul McGrath grew up in Ireland so we can "claim" them

Steve Heighway was born in Dublin

Paul McGrath was a genuine product of Irish football - he was a League of Ireland player before going to the UK.

Like who?

Pietersen's mother was English. MJ Lumb's father English. Andrew Strauss English mother. Andrew Caddick English parents.

Otherwise foreign player's have British roots -Tony Greig & Craig Kieswetter Scottish parent(s) or became British citizens such as Basil D'Oliveira before playing for England.

Eoin Morgan is playing for England based on residency rules. He has lived in England for that last 3 years.

fair play to him he might as well do what he can to progress his sporting career