entry level dslr

BCPK

Hi,
I'm trying to decide between purchasing an entry level dslr versus high spec point and shoot compact! DLSR options seem to be the Nikon 3000d or canon EOS 1000. Budget is max 500euro. I'm tempted by the dslr becasue i think i'll get longer out of this, just change the lenses over time. Anyone able to make reccomendations? C
Cheers,
BCPK

Its a no contest. The picture quality with any DSLR is streets ahead of almost all compacts, even high end digital compacts. They have to be, as the sensor is much bigger. Also, when you press the button, it takes the pic straight away, and even with a cheap DSLR, you can take multiple shots in very quite succession.The only issue with DSLRS is portability- they will never go in your pocket, but then some high end compacts won't either

I always prefer nikon dslrs to canon dslrs- they are much easier to use ; But if u have loads of canon lens, stick with canon.

Canon do better compacts and nikon do better DSLRs

Definitely go for a dslr.
I agree that Nikons are better body wise I had a big debate with myself when I was getting my dslr but after using a nikon I found canon far easier to use. I got the 450d and would highly recommend it I got it almost two years ago so not sure how much it would cost now.
I think the main benefit is being able to change the lenses in dslrs. I started with the basic and have since worked on expanding my collection.

So my advice is go Canon. Check online prices as well. I saved over 200 euro by getting mine online rather than in pcworld/currys.

That's a very good price for a very good camera. PC World are charging the same price for it. Incidentally I bought my 450D in Argos (of all places!!) two years ago for €549. It was an exceptional deal at the time.

is an excellent site for comparing prices of photographic equipment. Yes it is vey UK-centric but many of the online shops ship to Ireland.

As for the original point, DSLR all the way. The single biggest advantage in my opinion is that when you press the button, you take the shot. No pause or delay or missed opportunity.