Entrance width

Seans Dad

We are currently planning our external works on a new build. Would anyone know what is the standard minimum width for an entrance to a driveway? I know it needs to be wide enough to allow a truck to enter.

We are currently planning our external works on a new build. Would anyone know what is the standard minimum width for an entrance to a driveway? I know it needs to be wide enough to allow a truck to enter.

i would image at least 16 feet perhaps. however a good rule of thumb is what you said, to allow a truck OR more specifically allow a fire engine through (well certainly in the case of houses in the country side). town houses may have specs.

16 feet would be huge for the actual gate width.

the standard would be 10 or 12 feet wide. 10 would be a bit tight, 12 would be plenty wide enough for even an artic to enter.

ours is 14 feet (rural)...granted the pillars etc at the entrance are up more than 20+ years now.

if in doubt i suggest you check your local council office (planning section) and ask them. or if there has been any new builds near you maybe drop by and ask them.

We were told to keep a 4m entrance in our planning conditions for a new build in a town.
Hope that helps,m.

Thanks folks, I will check with the local council engineer to get a definitive answer