Entitled to Redundancy????

L

lizzy2010

My husband has worked for a Sole trader for the past 13 years. His boss his emigrating in a couple of months time and wants my husband and the other employee to take over the business (this basically includes materials and van) For the last 2 months of trading he wants them to set up on their own and he will subcontract any remaining work to them with him taking a cut of profits. He also wants them to take over the lease on the 2 vans. My question is are they entitled to redundancy as technically their employment is ceasing. He hasn’t mentioned that to them. Of course my husband and the other employee have no problem paying him a reasonable amount of money for the materials he still has and for the advice on how to price jobs.
Thanks

Take the redundancy !!!!!!!!

Maybe then afterwards, make the guy an offer (based upon what you've received). Make sure to get your redundancy first before agreeing to pay him anything.

Thanks for the prompt reply! The thing is he never mentioned redundancy! The other guy mentioned it to him yesterday and he brushed it aside and said "sure you wont be out of a job you'll still be working"
It seems to me he just wants to shut up shop and go!

I doubt he can just shut up shop & walk. Employees have protected rights. Make sure the redundancy issue is pursued to the end before entering any committment to carry on the business.

Back