entered wrong account number

dave_brent

I was transferring money from one account of mine to another. I put in the incorrect acc number but correct sort code. Would the chances of matching up an account number and sort code be highly improbable.

Am I correct to assume money will bounce back if either account or sort code are incorrect or dont match up. Both need to match?

It depends on the error you made. Bank systems use a modulus checking system which basically takes the 6 digits of the sortcode and 8 of your account number, runs an equation and if the figure it comes up with = a certain number, then it is deemed a valid account. It's perfectly possible therefore that the wrong account number could be accepted by the banks systems if it passed that check.

If it does turn out to be an invalid number then the funds will normally get credited to a suspense account within the bank. Don't depend on it being bounced back automatically, I suggest you follow up with the bank in writing and ask them to return the funds

I have heard of a number of cases where people transferred large amounts and happened to hit a valid number.

They got stuck in limbo and were unable to get the money back.

As it's your own branch, call into them immediately and try to get it fixed. They might be able to do something before it's too late.

Brendan

If you are unlucky enough that you picked on a valid account number in the branch of that sort code then nothing is automatic. The bank will have to get permission from the account holder to debit the account and return the money. Contact the bank as soon as possible to see if it was a valid number, if not it will either bounce back to originator or end up in a suspense account.

I spent weeks trying to get back money that I had sent in error to the wrong sort code, it ended up in a dormant customer account, luckily I had a contact in the bank who chased up on it for me otherwise they didn't give a monkeys as it was my error.

Back