English soccer team

They were beaten well and despite the goal they didnt get, Germany deserved victory.

I cant see the reason for gloating though.

I'd say the English media are one of the main reasons why many gloat when the soccer team gets beaten. I have nothing against the England team, and am indifferent about soccer generally, but I think it's hilarious that the English media over the years have expected success from their teams that have won nothing in 44 years ! They have had a completely misplaced optimism in their teams and it's not as if England have even been regularly in serious contention in World cups - they have never beaten any of the top sides in the knock out stages of the World cup finals away from Wembley.
We used to get the same rubbish from the English media about Tim Henman during Wimbledon - Tiger Tim etc yet the guy never won any grand slam event.

I think we had a bit of our own delusion about the Irish team.Commenting about the paraguay v japan match and the poor quality in it the RTE presenter and Giles and Brady began to moan about how the irish teAM WOULD HAVE been much better than either of these teams and would probably have given a very good account of themselves if they had qualified.This silly talk totally ignored the fact that italy and France who got there after getting the better of the irish team , could not even get out of their group.
The programme after it had heavily criticised the defensive nature of japan v paraguay then showed a clip of our golden moment when we beat romania on penalties and packies save and dave o leARYS GOAL. THERE WAS TOTAL AMNESIA ABOUT OUR TOTALLY NEGATIVE TACTICS AND THE FACT THAT iRELAND WERE PLAYING FOR PENALTIES. Not blaming Jack Charltons tactics, in being totally negative as we were playing against a much more skillful team.

i guess we'll see in the ec 2012 qualifiers. strong group