Engineer vs. Architect, building an extension

Stylus

We used an architect to get our planning permission for a house extension (family room and new upsairs bedroom etc.). However, we are debating right now if we need an architect for the further stages.

As we recently had an opportunity to meet a very good builder in the area (who has completed many quality extensions within 1 mile of us), we explained the plans to him. He is putting together a quote with his Quantity Surveyor based on the Planning Application plans. He says he comes back with 15-20 pages of details in his quote and it sounds good. We are expecting it next week.

We also had an Engineer down to look at engineering/demolition/structural type issues in part to help the builder make an accurate enough quote, And also to get the engineer on board for inspection visits and signoff of "stage payments" during construction perhaps.

From what I can gather some people I have talked to, go for more detailed plans - Construction/Structural plans showing foundation thickness, where the lights and sockets are etc. .And some people I have spoken to do not do this. They might provide handwritten details on lights, sockets, switches location etc.

The question is if you have found a good builder, and we hope an acceptable Price and an engineer to supervise the construction and signoff the building and planning compliance forms at the end of the job - do I need the Architect at all ? Maybe without an architect we can't predict "how things will look" for example our plans have one sentence saying "hole in the wall" gas fireplace but with no design details at all. An engineer won't supervise that, so I guess there are certain things we will have to do ourselves ?

Any advice/experience from this forum is very welcome. Don't necessarily want to pay up to 10K for the remaining Architect work, the extension should be in the region 140K to 180K.

We don't have an architect supervising our project, just an engineer to check each stage, however we did get an architect to do the tender drawings which specify the details of the build, the architect also got it costed by a QS. The tender drawing forms part of our contract with the builder and specifies exactly what's included. When this was being put together it forced us to think about the project in detail and also to get an accurate idea of costs in advance of the building stage. We are almost at the end of the build now and there were minimal changes however any changes that did occur were 'extras' ( a magic word to builders!) and do mount up. I think if we hadn't sussed everything out at the tender stage, we would have been working it out as we went along and apart from the delays that this might have caused there would have been a lot more extras.
Good luck with your build!

Back