Engineer/sign-off for folding doors and RSJ

H

Homelet

I'm replacing a large window and patio door at the rear of house with approx 6m folding doors. The builder has spec'd the RSJ and supports etc that are required and I have picked out a supplier for the doors.

My questions is, to conform with building/ compliance regulations do I need to have this work signed off by a building engineer. If so I would like to get them to confirm the builders approach before the work begins so there are no suprises later on.

I have tried to get a couple of building engineers to come around but to no avail. I think the 'job' may be too small for them which makes me wonder what other people do.

Any comments or advice would be most welcome.

I definitely would not start any work of this nature at all, before you consult an engineer, regardless of the hassle in getting one. Your builder may mean well by trying to spec the rsj for you, but this expertise is in an engineers domain, not a builder.

You could maybe contact the Institute of engineers in Ireland, who may have a comprehensive listing of engineers in your locale.

Or maybe post here for an engineer wanted input, as I do know of one engineer on this forum.

sabre

Thanks Sabre, I'm not going to proceed until I've consulted an engineer, but it is delaying me ordering windows etc. I've done my own amateur drawings and emailed them to two engineers and followed up but have had a very lack poor response - "will call around when we are passing".

Any recomendations on a suitable engineer in the Wicklow/Greystones area would be very welcome.

Back