Engineer fees and direct labour

adsbuild

Hi I am at planning stage with a 3,000 sq ft new build house. Plans done, pre-planning went well. Two questions on it if anyone can help.
Fees - am getting widely varying quotes for engineering supervision and assigned certifier. I have asked for price to hold my hand from planning app stage to putting my key in the door. From 6500 to 9750 for exactly the quote. To be honest I am tempted to go for the lower purely because they seem really efficient and informative and transparent. Can anyone advise.

Direct labour - Please please can someone tell this building virgin if I can do direct labour post March Regs?? I have lots of people saying direct labour is dead post March.

The fees seems reasonable in a market that is now getting tight: however the key issue is the competence of the outfit you hire.
frequent site visits and close supervision is required so have that spelled out in any contract.

The issue of direct labour first needs a definition of what you mean by direct labour.
If it means that you, the home owner, goes down to the dole office and hires a few handy looking lads to do the work, then you need to ask yourself the question: who is the competent builder as described in numerous documents, including the one.
[broken link removed]

Hi I am at planning stage with a 3,000 sq ft new build house. Plans done, pre-planning went well. Two questions on it if anyone can help.
Fees - am getting widely varying quotes for engineering supervision and assigned certifier. I have asked for price to hold my hand from planning app stage to putting my key in the door. From 6500 to 9750 for exactly the quote. To be honest I am tempted to go for the lower purely because they seem really efficient and informative and transparent. Can anyone advise.

Direct labour - Please please can someone tell this building virgin if I can do direct labour post March Regs?? I have lots of people saying direct labour is dead post March.

Direct labour is all but gone. Have you asked the engineers that quoted you how much it will cost to supervise direct labour and if they actually still want to be engaged in the project. Most assigned certifiers will not want to work with self builds anymore.

Back