Engine temp indicator

Frank

I have noticed over the last few days that the engine temperature gauge seems to sit at minimum sometimes and normal mid point sometimes.

This morning I drove 45 miles once the engine got up to normal temp it stayed there fine.

On friday the same drive it sat on minimum the whole way.

I have a VW passat 1.9 TDI 01. Just serviced. Coolant level is fine. Looks like there is a sensor on the bottom corner of the rad on the passanger side. connector seems to be in securely.

Does the same sensor for the dash board control the fan?
Could the engine overheat if the sensor is not working right ?
Anyone seen similar before?

Have a VW golf with same problem just noticed it today am trying to contact dealer to try and find out what the problem ,like your self am a bit concerned that if the the gauge controls the fan will the engine overheat.Will post detaols if I get any information.

Still haven't managed to get to a dealer to pick brains.

Had you any luck Rheinie?

Rang the garage as I said and was assured that it was not a major problem.My situation at the moment is that when stopped in traffic and engine heats up a bit more temp. indicator goes up to normal and I can hear cooling fan click in and after a few minutes gauge returns to its cold position.Not sure what problem is but am taking car to garage next week and they say they will check in out.

Hi, just wondering did anyone ever get an answer to this?

I noticed this morning that on occasion my car coolant temp guage drops to zero and then back up again. Not sure what it is but am going to bring it to the mechanic on Monday.

sounds like the temp sender is faulty....I'd go get it checked/replaced anyway

could also be your stat is intermittently faulty

either way, coming into winter, I wouldn't take any chances

I had this problem on my passat tdi around the start of the year.

Temp would climb as normal then drop straight back to zero when fully warmed up.

The engine temp sensor is gone. I got one from belgard motors for about 25 quid or so I think.

Ths is not the one at the rad.

It is in the block between the back of the engine and the drivers side bulkhead. I managed to chage it myself a little fidly but no more than a half hour job.

Here is an idea of what your looking for not in the same position as mine though.

Very easy fix a good mechanic should be able to do it handy enough.

Back