Engine cutting out

Jimmy Mook

My engine is cutting out/stalling within 5 minutes of setting off in the mornings, when de-clutching at junctions, would anyone know why its happening? its a 1.6 petrol audi a4. Thx.

Sounds like it is set too low. Nothing serious. When stopping use the handbrake, then clutch and keep your foot (lightly) on the gas. This will alleviate the irritation of restarting at lights etc. You can DIY it or take it in.

I think it would be well to remember that using the hankbrake to stop means your brake lights wont work so it could be safer and cheaper in the long run to get the stalling problem sorted out.

The easiest way to diagnose what is wrong is to bring it to an Audi garage they will hook it up to their diagnostic computer and the fault will show up it could be the cold start sensor or air mass meter all to do with supplying the correct amount of fuel to the engine.

Hey Jimmy! In olden days this would be called 'the idle'. But if you know little about whats under the bonnet take it to a mechanic.

Sounds like it is set too low. Nothing serious. When stopping use the handbrake, then clutch and keep your foot (lightly) on the gas. This will alleviate the irritation of restarting at lights etc. You can DIY it or take it in.
most cars these days have fuel injection and electronic ignition. the idle cannot be manually "set" anymore by the throttle linkage, it is determined by an idle control valve connected to the ecu. there is usually no adjustment at all. the problem i suspect lies with this valve which will need replacement/cleaning or it could be the air mass meter which can gunge up and give the faults that the original poster describes. Anyway, its definately not a diy job if you dont know much about engines

My engine is cutting out/stalling within 5 minutes of setting off in the mornings, when de-clutching at junctions, would anyone know why its happening? its a 1.6 petrol audi a4. Thx.

This is usually caused by sticky valves/injectors.I had this problem before and was told to use Redex injector cleaner or Redex engine treatment which are both added to your petrol,this worked for me.

had that problem with my own renault,very simple problem the revs were set too low when the car was idle. Take it to a mechanic if you know nothin about cars very simple just a matter or increasing the revs.best of luck!