Engagement Rings - Advice and Summary

engagement ring shopping

Just looking for some help and advice on shopping for an engagment ring. We got engaged at the week end Yipee ! but are doing a little research before we splash the cash on a ring .
we have heard that antwerp is the best place to visit, so we are considering a trip in a couple of weeks and are looking for some advice on the whole experience. also if there is somewhere in ireland people have got good value and feel is worth a visit id love to hear, as maybe the extra cash spent on flights, accomodation etc could be better spent on the ring !!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going abroad for a ring, then I would suggest New York's Diamond District. I can recommend Hanikens.

Do your research, get some more recommendations of dealers and shop around. It should cost you about half the price of Ireland.

Thanks everyone , I actually saw some lovely rings on corr's website so might give a peep there . Thanks again

i'm going to be in the market soon for an anniversary ring, and would recommend having a look at weldon's blog for info on diamonds/etc. there seems to be an article on pretty much anything you can think of, it's a big help with research. [broken link removed]

Hi all, we're thinking of heading to Birmingham in 2 weeks time to get a ring. Not opposed to a second hand ring if the diamond was top notch.

Anyone have any experience of buying a ring in Birmingham? I know I read somewhere that outside of Antwerp, Birmingham has the highest level of diamond sales in Europe.....seemed odd to me but apparently it is true?

Reminder: Please just report obvious spam. Quoting/ responding to it just results in more people seeing it and it getting higher rankings in Google.

My wedding ring is a platinum band. I had never previously worn any ring so had no fixed opinion on what to get, etc.

When we selected the engagement ring, she wanted one like her mothers which is platinum. When the wedding rings were being selected, hers was to match the engagement ring and mine was similar to match hers.

So, my wedding ring ends up being based on a choice my mother-in-law and/or father-in-law made over 50 years ago. If your fiancée has a definitive view on the style and form of her engagement ring, it may affect the style and form of your wedding ring.

Back