Energy Saving Lightbulbs that illuminate instantly and to the full?

williamburke

Are there any energy saving lightbulbs out there that illuminate instantly and to the full?
If not, what make are the fastest to reach full illumination.
I bought two recently, GE as I recall, and it takes about 30sec to reach full brightness. The light quality is very good then, but the lead time is slightly annoying.
I've had the experience of an energy saving lightbulb that, about two minutes after turning it on, would go completely dark for a few seconds, the resume illumination and continue thereafter.
Very annoying.

Re: Energy Saving Lightbulbs.

Check the manufacturer's homepages. The packaging should state the letters "el" for "electronical controlled". There are many different types of CFL's, plenty of choice.

Re: Energy Saving Lightbulbs.

heinbloed- can you explain more? I too have been wondering how to recognise from the packaging whether the e/s bulb in question will light up quickly or not. I have never heard of "electronical controlled" bulbs and dont know how it works in this context- can you post a link or tell us more?

No,I've no links, just general knowledge. Try the manufacturer's pages or visit a decent lamp/light shop, they will show you the individual CFLs working.

Heinbloed is referring to electronic ballast (as opposed to core and coil [aka magnetic] ballast). Electronic ballast CFLs come to full brightness far faster than magnetic ones, but they're still not absolutely instantaneous.

Well done, cobalt!
I'm not an electrician, so my advice is just from the consumer's point of view.
The German consumer magazine "test" published shortly ago a special edition covering CFL bulbs among other energy issues. ISBN No. 4 192070 007501 6005, page 26-31.
From 216 tested CFLs (8 from each model) tested over 15 month and 10.000 hours with on/off switching ect. the two best ("very good") results for fast lighting up
was the "Osram Dulux EL Longlife Classic 7Watts (E27 fitting)".
The other "very good" for fast lightening up got the "GE FLE15TBX/XM/827, 15Watts, E27 fitting".
The magazine gives no indication at what exact time the light was full on.
Only the two managed to get a "very good" for fast lightening up, the other brands/models where slower.
CFLs with bajonett fittings, as used here in Ireland and in GB as well, wheren't part of this test.

To ntOOdeep:
Yes.They can be got.