Energy monitors

RMCF

I was thinking of buying one of these thingee's to monitor my energy usage.

http://www.theowlireland.com/

But I was wondering if anyone has any experience of them and how they work. I am afraid that with my electricity box being on the outside of the house there might be an issue with the wireless signal back to the receiver.

I have this product from back when it was called the "Electrisave" (and cost >€100) bought a couple of years ago and it's wireless works well through 1 solid wall and 1 internal wall to the receiver which would be about 20+ feet away from the electricity box. I've had to replace the batteries once and have it on slow update (1 minute intervals).

Last edited:
I have one, no problem with range from the box to opposite side of the house.

The mine has just stopped receiving a signal in the last few days, so I am assuming the sender unit needs new batteries after 6 only months. I have a wireless thermometers for a weather station which works on the same principles and gets a couple of years out if two AAAs.

Thanks for the feedback. Might order one.

Have you this actual model? IF so, would you recommend it? Did you find it changed your lifestyle wrt energy usage?

I have that model, it won't save money for you but it does make you much more aware and that saves you money.. If you know what I mean. Like installing timers on washing machines and dryers for night time usage and the like. Handy to know your room temp also too...

I have that model, it won't save money for you but it does make you much more aware and that saves you money.. If you know what I mean. Like installing timers on washing machines and dryers for night time usage and the like. Handy to know your room temp also too...

Does Bord Gais have different tariff at night? On my bill there is only one type of unit listed.

What time does it get cheaper? And how much cheaper?

It is the Owl model. I had a look at it last night, the batteries in the receiver unit had gone, even do it appeared (Battery low was indicated) to be working fine.

Back