Energy efficient downlights

J

JimiMac

I need to get 48 downlights soon. I would like an energy efficient solution and one that is reasonably future-proof.
I have read recent threads on the subject but I am a bit confused.
I was initially thinking of getting GU10 cfl's but I know there has been a lot of discussion on the leds.
Some of the bulbs mentioned have included:
megaman gu10's
gu10 90 degree 4.4w warm white
mr16 www4
3w luxeon
cree
super leds, etc
I was wondering if anybody would have any recommendations on the various options.

I have also read that some of the energy efficient bulbs stick out a bit. I have also read (somewhere?) that you can get light fittings that will take either type of bulb without them sticking out.
I think someone also posted that whilst the megaman bulbs were fine, the fittings were not great.

Just to add more confusion, I was speaking to somebody here
that said these
lights were the way to go. He said that most of the other options would be gone within a couple of years and that these new lights were the closest thing to 'real' lights. They are a bit on the expensive side. Has anybody any comments on these lights?
I would appreciate if anybody can give any pros/cons of the option they chose. If you were replacing all of your lights tomorrow, which option would you go for?

Thanks,
Jim

The problem with downlighters as far as energy efficiency is concerned is that you are making holes in the ceiling which can cause heat loss. Obviously that's only a problem if like us you live in a bungalow and the ceilings are basically the loft floor. If you live in a 2 story house then you could have downlighters in the lower storey without energy loss.

Megaman have close links with a light-fittings company called Fozz; you couold check out their stuff on www.fozzlighting.co.uk We ordered some of their wall-lights for our kitchen through a local electrical suppliers and they're really cool.

ive got some 11w compact cfl megaman gu10s in yhe kitchen. they are very good. the only issue is that they wont fit most cheap gu10 fittings. i got some in the local electrical wholesalers that fit perfectly for about 2-2.50 each. the bulbs are dear, i paid about 12+vat each for em.

Back