Enduring power of attorney

Lizard

2 questions:

1. My dad was diagnosed with dementia recently. My mum was advised by a friend that she should seek an "Enduring power of attorney" to look after the affairs of her own husband?! They are married 50 years, have joint accounts, and are happily living together, so surely that's enough of a requirement to look after his affairs after he's "gone", without having to fork out a couple of hundred euros to be given permission to do the things she promised to do when she took her marriage vows?

2. And what if my mum develops dementia, or is unable to look after herself? Should I, as her daughter, have this legal document in order to make decisions about her care?

Thanks for reading this.

Your mother does not need anything to decide on your fathers care. You do not need anything to decide on your mothers care.

But if both your parents have dementia how will you access the finances, dispose of property to fund their care, power of attorney gives you the authority to deal with their assets while they are still alive but incapacitated by illness. Have a look at this:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/before_a_death/power_of_attorney.html

Joe_90, thank you for your reply, that puts me at ease. I will have a look at link you sent.

Back