End of Jobseekers Benefit and signing for reckonable pension A1 stamp

Madramor

I am currently on JB and will not get any support once I move to JA in December (I have rental income and savings). I'm 60 and I probably won't be looking for work but I am short on reckonable PRSI for my state pension so would like to make sure I get them for the foreseeable. Some questions:
  1. Can I just 'sign on' once at the start and not have to go in every month ?
  2. Will I be expected to be looking for employment in order to get same A1 stamp ?
  3. How long after stopping of JB can you get reckonable A1 stamps by 'signing on' (I have 25 years continuous stamps prior) ?
  4. Should I avoid the place altogether and just rely on my class S from rental income to be reckonable ?
Note: I'm aware of the fact that if I work on my 63rd year I can get 65 to 66 payment and will consider this at a later point.

If you are still getting JB coming up to December you should get a letter from the DSP informing you that it is coming to an end. It should also indicate options like applying for JA (means tested) or "signing" for credits. You need to indicate that the latter is your intention. Signing for credits is once a year. Yes, the same conditions apply as to being available for, and seeking, employment. At 60/61 I expect that some level of "activation" will apply - how this will impact you I don't know - as you will not be receiving any payment it may be quite limited.
The same conditions apply as long as you remain signing but activation is usually less after 62/63, eg, just information about workshops, etc.

Last edited:
Immediately sign on for A credits when your job seekers benefit ends.
Relying on S class could be problematic.
If you work at A class in any calender year all your rental income will be at K class for that year.
Even 1 A class contribution will cause this. You can have both A class credits and S class at the same time. A class credits do not cause your rental income to change to K class. K class is not reckonable for contributory pension. Do not rely on using the rules for S class to qualify for 65s benefit. You would only qualify if you ceased your rental in a certain time frame. Aim to get 13 paid A contributions and A credits for the 65s benefit. Keep all options open A and S.

Last edited:
Back