Enabling phone sockets

Warren

Hi,

We moved into our new house about a year and half ago and only got a landline last month. We hooked it into the phone socket in the hall and everything works fine. However we have 3 other phone sockets in the house and none of them seem to be working.

Is it normal practice for only a single socket in a house to be enabled?
And do I then have to go and pay eircom for the others to be enabled?

Thanks,
Warren

I don't know if it's normal, but it's certainly common. Both houses that I've bought in my life (both new) needed work on the phone sockets when I moved in. You don't need Eircom to do it if the others are wired back to the main socket (the one where the line is working) - just check if the additional wiring is connected up within that socket. If it is the others may be wired incorrectly. It's easy enough and your can figure out the correct wiring by looking at the working socket.

in our case we had to get the builder back in as the line from the first cable had been damaged by a plaster board nail (dont' ask me how) and the line essentially was broken.

We found this with our house. The main socket was properly wired, but the other phone points didn't have sockets, they just had the wire running behind the cover board. I had to connect the wire at the main socket, and then splice in the other sockets as I went. It's a relatively simple job.

Back