employment question

P

pleba

i'm soon to take on my first staff member and was hoping to get them to work approximately 32 to 38 hours per week (will vary week to week).

I'll be paying them an hourly wage, which is above minimum wage but not by much..
My intention is to pay them for hours worked and not for the 30 minute lunch break or for days off or sick days.

Am I within my rights to do this?
Does this constitute a full-time position or is there another term for it?

I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

Thanks

You would have to pay them holiday pay after a certain amount of time. Dont have to pay for lunch breaks but under no obligation to pay sick days but some employers do.

Take a look at department of enterprise website

If you are about to employ somebody I would suggest that you do a course on Employment Law - you will have a lot of obligations, and you should make sure you know what they are.

The Enterprise Boards hold some courses or you can go to a privately run course such as is run by IPASS.

I have no affiliation with the above other than being a member of an Enterprise Board and have attended courses at IPASS.

thanks for the advice guys.
Like many people starting a business for the first time, time is a premium and unfortunately I dont have the time to do a course. Will be reading the NERA site extensively though!