Employees and beards

G

Guest128

Is that legal? I'm pretty sure its not against the law to have a beard....

Re: poor employees

Originally Posted by viztopia http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=761150#post761150
3) another employee came in three days in a row without shaving. asked him why and he said he has a skin condition.... he was told the next time he came in not shaved he would be sent home for the day and he has always been shaved since then - i know i am mean.
Is that legal? I'm pretty sure its not against the law to have a beard....

Flander - i am sure it is not against the law to have a beard. but were you have a 20 year old who works in a professional serviecs firm dealing with the public every day and appearance is a lot - having a clean shave is a major point.

Its a major undertaking to shave everyday, do you provide shaving cream, razors and after shave balm since under his (her!) own power they might not shave every day and are incurring an expense on behalf of work?!

Flander - i am sure it is not against the law to have a beard. but were you have a 20 year old who works in a professional serviecs firm dealing with the public every day and appearance is a lot - having a clean shave is a major point.

It is and it isn't.....why should a man have to shave just to talk to people? Would you send a female worker home for not wearing any makeup....as many are not presentable without any.

yes. we would have no problem with facial hair. we have a problem with employees not shaving because they are too lazy!!

I suppose its a question of what your rules are in the office.

Some people here might think the mods on this site are over zealous in their moderation of the site. At the end of the day its their site and they can be as strict as they choose. Same could be said for employers of small companies.

That said, there is a sexist issue here. How long can a woman have their hair, can they wear casual clothes (difficult to define) can they wear makeup or earrings etc . .

Growing a beard is not necessarily somebody who is lazy, that in itself is a lazy assumption to make. Some people look good with beards or goatees and just like to have them. It should be none of the employers business if they grow a beard or not (while in employment) once its being kept clean and presentable.

It is also descrimination to let some people grow beards and others not (if you base it on a presumption that some are lazy!).

Define facial hair!

the only people that are talking about beards are you!! this thread wasnt started to talk about beards. if you want to talk about beards then i suggest that you start another thread. we are going way of the mark here.

Well said, my sentiments exactly!

the only people that are talking about beards are you!! this thread wasnt started to talk about beards. if you want to talk about beards then i suggest that you start another thread. we are going way of the mark here.

You posted a thread containing a statement along the lines of sending an employee home because they hadn't shaved in two days. Why bother posting if you dont want people to reply?

What would be the typical stance on a woman having alot of facial hair,would viztopia feel the need to ask her to amend her appearance?

I think that this rant has come to a sudden halt due to the realisation that the OP is being just a tad overbearing and unreasonable.

If I didn't shave for a few days I may look scruffy, but if George Clooney does it, he looks rugged and handsome !?

The 'women & make-up' is relevant. Is make-up trowelled on ok ?

You can't even beat employees any more....ah god be with the good old days

there should only be a problem in the "changeover" period. If you want a beard, grow it on your hols, then come back with it, no probs.

I had one for a while - few months novelty - didnt do much for my scoring potential (young free and single at the time). I might grow one when the beard goes fully grey - then I can either be a banker, a trade unionist or Santa !!!

poor Roy looked cat with the part grey yoke - never did facial hair to any good effect

Its a major undertaking to shave everyday

I disagree - I shave every day and it is not a major undertaking. You could use that statement to attempt to justify any aspect of personal hygiene, and still be wrong.

What would be the typical stance on a woman having alot of facial hair,would viztopia feel the need to ask her to amend her appearance?
You don't see this because women go to the beauty parlour to have it dealt with. I doubt very much if a women would be hired in a job that deals with the public if they were not presentable.

You don't see this because women go to the beauty parlour to have it dealt with. I doubt very much if a women would be hired in a job that deals with the public if they were not presentable.
Rubbish...and the over-applying of make-up is worse. Who knows what kind of place the customer thinks they've walked into

This isn't always the case and i have seen women with a lot of facial hair that are very presentable.

How dare you that is hormonal!!! Wouldn't mind being sent home though, this office is freezing, may catch the last 15 minutes of Judge Judy

How dare you that is hormonal!!! Wouldn't mind being sent home though, this office is freezing, may catch the last 15 minutes of Judge Judy

the poor hormones are blamed for everything.