emigration person who sent home 3 usa citizens - unbelievable?

NOAH

I have just been listening/reading about the IRISH immigration official who sent back 3 usa citizens on the basis they did not have sufficient funds BUT would not LOOK at one of thier online bank accounts!! Is that not unbelievable?????? BUT to make it worse, proceeded to allow them to pay 1300 euro each by Credit Card for single flights back to new York!!! Hello, hello,

Here is the imaginary verbal exchange " Ok you do not have enough funds to support yourselves in our rich country so back you go, no no I will not look at your online bank account to see how much funds you actually have. Oh and by the way, although you have no funds to satisfy me to allow you to enter our lovely free country you have of course a credit card that you can afford to pay 3300 euros to pay for flights back home."

I dont think our illegals in the USA will get much sympathy from here on in.

I would love to see the person who behaved in such a fashion sacked but as usual it will never happen.

I hope I got the wrong end of the stick for all our sakes.

noah

I dont think our illegals in the USA will get much sympathy from here on in.

They haven't up to now so this won't change anything. The US have similar rules as stated in other thread, why should we be any more lenient ?

I would love to see the person who behaved in such a fashion sacked but as usual it will never happen.

Why, they did their job. If they were US officials they'd probably get a medal for stopping undesirables ( potential terrorist subjects even ) into the country.

Pot / Kettle etc. comes to mind. Fair due to the Irish official I say.

I have just been listening/reading about the IRISH immigration official who sent back 3 usa citizens on the basis they did not have sufficient funds BUT would not LOOK at one of thier online bank accounts!!

Immigration didnt need to look at the bank account as it had insufficient funds. The 3 of them were intending to live here for 1 year and pay for their return tickets with only $10,000 and no work permits to allow them to work. $10,000 is about €7,500. So you think that it would be possible for a single person to live in Ireland for a whole year for €2,500 per person and still have enough change to buy a plane ticket back to the USA?

Immigration didnt need to look at the bank account as it had insufficient funds. The 3 of them were intending to live here for 1 year and pay for their return tickets with only $10,000 and no work permits to allow them to work. $10,000 is about €7,500. So you think that it would be possible for a single person to live in Ireland for a whole year for €2,500 per person and still have enough change to buy a plane ticket back to the USA?
thats not what they said on the last word this evening.
I just caught the last few min but it seems that they had no notion what they were here for, were planning on Scotland and maybe England and arrived with a phone number and no address to give to emigration. They also had not enough cash - except one had a credit card who bought the other the ticket home. He seemed to think that because he could buy the tickets on credit that it demonstrated he was able to support himself. I think our media has blown it out of all proportion - how many people are returned to Ireland each year??

I only heard about this story tonight. I'm not going to pass any comment on it because I don't really know what happened, apart from what I've read here.

But to introduce a bit of balance, the following happened when I lived in America in the late 80's, at the height of the illegal Irish in America issue.

Five of us, all illegal Irish in America, shared a house in a predominantly Irish area on the east coast. One of the guys had been living with an American girl and the relationship had gone very sour, much to the annoyance of the American girl's parents. They told our friend that they were going to report him to U.S. Immigration.

One evening, the phone rang in our house. The guy who answered the phone was told that U.S. Immigration would call around to our house two days later and he said, "I guess you guys don't want to be around when we call."

We left the house for a few days and when we came back, our landlord told us they had called and they had said that everything was fine.

We never heard anything more about it but it was the closest we ever came to being deported. 3 of the 5 live there now, are fully legal and one of them is a major political figure in his community.

It's a funny old world sometimes.

thats not what they said on the last word this evening.
I just caught the last few min but it seems that they had no notion what they were here for, were planning on Scotland and maybe England and arrived with a phone number and no address to give to emigration. They also had not enough cash - except one had a credit card who bought the other the ticket home. He seemed to think that because he could buy the tickets on credit that it demonstrated he was able to support himself. I think our media has blown it out of all proportion - how many people are returned to Ireland each year??

Out of all proportion alright, people are a bit quick to jump to conclusions. Why else would we have immigration officials.

The circus continued on newstalk this morning in a farcical manner ultimately ending in a free advertisement for a certain hotel group who said they'd pay for the lads to come back and put them up for a week!

I'm in no way PC but I don't think a bunch of nigerian lads coming over with no money, no return tickets, no work permits, etc would get much attention.

Another focus seems to be don't p*ss off the americans because they are rich, it's really pathetic.

If they had been, say, Chinese, Indian or Nigerian would we have known or cared about this?

I don't think a bunch of nigerian lads coming over with no money, no return tickets, no work permits, etc would get much attention.

Another focus seems to be don't p*ss off the americans because they are rich, it's really pathetic.

i agree with both points - they seemed to be missed in the "poor you" reporting of it.

I have just been listening/reading about the IRISH immigration official who sent back 3 usa citizens on the basis they did not have sufficient funds ...
There were multiple reasons for refusing them entry apparently (one-way tickets, no address over here, no jobs back in the US, etc.) They simply hadn't done their homework in relation to the entry requirements and were rightly sent back.

The apparent reason they're getting so much attention is that a Dallas media personality is the father of one of those refused entry (they have the same family name).

See comments after this story - [broken link removed]

"Isn't daddy WFAA contributor Walt Zwirko? Interesting if that is the case and it's not revealed in your reporting."

I have to say fair play to them. An Irish person wouldn't even been allowed to board a plane to go to the States if they couldn't provide an address etc never mind get there. I can see American immigration's response if I said I was Couch Surfing

I have a friend that travelled around South America and into North America and did precisely this. Wasn't a problem for the immigration officials. That said, these guys are guilty of stupidity if nothing else. If you had a phone number of a person who was giving you a place to stay, why not an address?

Back