Emigrant returning wants to set up bank account

warrendublin

Hello,

A friend of mine has returned to ireland having lived in US for 27 years.

He is living with his parents for the time being, and has no correspondence of any kind (utility bills, etc) linking him to any Irish address at this point.

He wants to open up a bank account but was told that it's not possible to do this at this point.

Can anyone advise how he should go about doing this or are all banks different in what is required for customers to open up a bank account?

Or is there a link to what is required in general when opening up a bank account in Ireland.

Many thanks as ever.

Thanks. I found some links on the net.

however, this is the conundrum.

1. Id has to be verified - no problem - Passport held
2. Residency has to be verified like household bill letters - they are here 2 days - no bills exist and won't do for a while - they are living with their parents
3. PPS number validation - they had a PPS number in the 1980s and worked in Ireland paying tax etc, but have none of the revenue or social welfare letters since then and have no documents with their Irish PPS number on them.

So, with 2 and 3 not being verifiable, and despite the fact that they are Irish, living in the house that they lived in when last in ireland and have a PPS number, they can't prove these last two facts.

Is there any suggestions for how these last 2 can be proved or proved so that the banks are happy that the evidence satisfies money laundering requirements?

Arrange for bank statements to be send from America to his Irish address. Is there any other correspondence that can be mailed over I.e. tax affairs etc?

If he had a PPS number in the past I think it was known as RSI in the old days that is easily traceable by calling Longford and giving them as much info as possible.