Emergency & Frontline Workers - Risks of the Job?

annet

Workplace violence... how common is it? Do posters view it as "part of the job"? Are there any stats on the true numbers of people who suffer workplace violence. This firstly assumes that mandatory reporting to the Health & Safety Authority takes place in all incidents resulting in more than three days sick leave. I am open to correct, but Ive yet to hear of any person who was actually prosecuted for perpetrating violence at work - are there any stats in relation to criminal conviction - and what type of sentance by the courts did these people receive.

I can't remember the exact details but a couple of years back there were a number of staff in a engineering company down south prosecuted for "hazing" a member of staff, it involved putting a high pressure hose up the guys backside as a "joke". if my memory serves me right, I think they got jail

no it is not commonplace.

the only recent cases i have heard of in the private sector was a fight on a work night out and person who was instigator was sanctioned in work immediately the following day.

Other than that workplace violence is common enough in specific work sectors such as A&E and psyciatric nursing, ambulance & firemen being stoned in certain areas, social welfare officers giving bad news about claims ( i witnessed disgusting verbal abuse in the post office on that one and the person behind the counter seemed to take it in her stride).

Horseplay in work is almost a thing of the past which is what i think you are referring to. One of the biggest issues with it was that it was usually associated with a new hire or wedding or whatnot so the person did not report it.

I can't remember the exact details but a couple of years back there were a number of staff in a engineering company down south prosecuted for "hazing" a member of staff, it involved putting a high pressure hose up the guys backside as a "joke". if my memory serves me right, I think they got jail

This incident was in my locality, in a sawmill. The victim was a constant sufferer of bullying, easy target as he is mildly mentally handicapped. The lads got jail and on their release got the people's justice. The victim will never be right again as his insides were so severely damaged.

I worked in the banking sector and over a 30 year period I was directly/indirectly involved in nine armed raids. On one occassion I was lying on the ground with a shotgun held against my head.
The CEO of the company said when we looked for extra security after being held up four times over a 4 month period by the same armed individual "it goes with the territory".
This guy is now retired on a golden handshake and fantastic pension to play his golf and enjoy his other home in Spain. His comments to this day still turn my stomach.

Ignorance of the highest magnitude then! In emergency frontline services, assaults against staff members is commonplace with attitudes being such that its a "normalized" part of the job (as if its in any job description), cases not being reported by to the HSA, and even when eventually done so, the HSA take no action against employers to deter future non-compliance with mandatory reporting. This compares to the UK, where in hospital trusts there is a responsibility on management to involve the police in all cases of violence in the workplace. Senior staff would also have no difficulty in refusing to treat people - and these decisions would be backed by management where staff safety would be at risk - essentially people are shown the door.

... Senior staff would also have no difficulty in refusing to treat people - and these decisions would be backed by management where staff safety would be at risk - essentially people are shown the door.
IME that applies to front-line medical and para-medical staff in Ireland and there is no need for refusals to be handed out by 'senior staff', although I'm not sure I know what that means in the context of your post.

Ignorance of the highest magnitude then!
i think you lost the run of yourself just then my dear - frontline staff was not specified. "Frontline" postmen, park groundskeepers, lollypop ladies, social welfare officers etc etc would say they probably don't commonly experience violence.

So you call the gardai to the mental hospital because someone has lashed out? why so you can sue? perhaps a self defense course might be more valid. Everything's better somewhere else.

i think you lost the run of yourself just then my dear - frontline staff was not specified. "Frontline" postmen, park groundskeepers, lollypop ladies, social welfare officers etc etc would say they probably don't commonly experience violence.

So you call the gardai to the mental hospital because someone has lashed out? why so you can sue? perhaps a self defense course might be more valid. Everything's better somewhere else.

Emergency frontline workers... but suppose the risk of violence affects all persons dealing with the general public. Violence in the workplace doesnt alway's happen in stereotypical environments - ie. psychiatric facilities or indeed A&E - but are you really saying a person with a psychiatric disorder is somehow not responsible for their actions... even in the courts people rarely get a conviction of guilty but insane.... and yes, I'd see no problem in calling the Gardai to a psychiatric hospital. Re: self defense classes - Breakaway techniques sometimes work but it all depends on the nature of the assault.... and its also an issue of risk management which is a responsibility of all staff and management.

IME that applies to front-line medical and para-medical staff in Ireland and there is no need for refusals to be handed out by 'senior staff', although I'm not sure I know what that means in the context of your post.

I would be talking about frontline medical in general.... and in the hospital trust in the UK if there are any instances of violence against staff, that person is refused treatment and the Trusts policy is also that the police is called to respond.... we use to call it a zero tolerence policy. The post was to ask whether anybody was aware of any cases where in violence against frontline emergency workers - where those people ever charged and if the case came to the courts where they convicted.

Just to clarify the point of view regarding Health and Safety legislation.

Yes if an incident leads to more than three consecutive days off work (or not able to complete normal duties), the this must be reported to the HSA. So while violence and aggression exists as a risk, first, it isn't that common it leads to the three consecutive days off work, there is also an aspect of under reporting by staff of all incidents and then yes there is under reporting of the actual reports to the HSA.

However, the HSA are not in a position to take action against the members of the public who start the violence. They can only take action against the employer if they do not have suitable risk control measures in place to control the violence. The problem is controlling something as unpredictable as violence is extremely tricky. The UK example is good, but remember the individual has already acted aggressively or violently, it's too late.

The other aspect is that a lot of the the violence takes place at scenes of accidents etc, areas outside the employer's control. Again, while a workplace for the employees, as it isn't under the employer's control, there are limits to what can be done.

The other aspect is what would be the purpose of any action against an employer, i.e. HSE etc? How would this be in the public interest? It is unfair to make an employer a scapegoat for what is a societal problem. It isn't the HSE who have generated a binge culture. It isn't the HSE who have encouraged party drugs. It isn't the HSE who have made emergency services legitimate targets for violence.

Where they can, the HSE and other services have in place training and controls. There are directions to call the gardai, however, in most cases for the emergency services there is an obligation that public safety and preservation of life comes before the safety and health of personnel. This is reflected in the Framework directive for OHS from Europe. The consequence is a valid one in that you don't want the ambulance service worrying about correct lifting technique when trying to get your child out of a car wreck or the gardai worrying about suitable hearing protection when dealing with a riot. However, it also leaves a very grey area when it comes to violence and aggression.

It’s all too easy to blame the HSE, but really it is us or those around us in our community who are the problem. Given the prescriptive and onerous nature of much health and safety legislation, I think it is fair that in these circumstances it is recognised there is only so much the HSE can do in cooperation with its employees.

i think you lost the run of yourself just then my dear - frontline staff was not specified. "Frontline" postmen, park groundskeepers, lollypop ladies, social welfare officers etc etc would say they probably don't commonly experience violence

An Post delivery has been withdrawn from an area of Finglas today as a Postman was shot with a pellet gun, the Union Rep stated that they were used to robberies and attempted robberies while working on routes in certain areas.

i think you lost the run of yourself just then my dear - frontline staff was not specified. "Frontline" postmen, park groundskeepers, lollypop ladies, social welfare officers etc etc would say they probably don't commonly experience violence. ..

A city park caretaker was attacked not far from where I work fairly recently by a group of lads/gougers who were drinking...

guys - are these incidents commonplace?
I don't think so. maybe in medical arenas but the random act of gougers is not common - where i'm from anyway :)

Back