Emerald Star Boat Holidays

Sunny

A few of us of thinking about a long weekend away and were thinking about hiring a boat for something different. Anyone done it and what did they think?

A very nice way to spend a few days -- the epitome of "slow travel", moving at 5 kph, and for a great deal of the time being away from the hustle and bustle of towns and busy roads. The boats are easy enough to handle: about 30-60 minutes' tuition and the application of common sense, and you should be okay.

Emerald Star are cutting back greatly on their Irish operation, but there are other good companies out there also.

A very nice way to spend a few days -- the epitome of "slow travel", moving at 5 kph, and for a great deal of the time being away from the hustle and bustle of towns and busy roads. The boats are easy enough to handle: about 30-60 minutes' tuition and the application of common sense, and you should be okay.

Emerald Star are cutting back greatly on their Irish operation, but there are other good companies out there also.

Thanks for that. Emerald star was the first company I came across so must look in more detail.

A few of us of thinking about a long weekend away and were thinking about hiring a boat for something different. Anyone done it and what did they think?

I've done the shannon and the erne with several different boat companies including emerald star and it's a great break especially with a gang. You'll love it. Weather helps but not essential.

We used Emerald Star on a weeks holiday in July - years ago - no problem with company or boat very easly to handle it but as I said in another post good weather would be a must for me as it's not very pleasant being cooped up indoors in small area for such a long time. We were also disappointed with the night life on our stops along the way we are not wild party people but it would have been nice to visit a pub on our way from Portumna to Carrig on Shannon with some entertainment or life in them. Maybe I shouldn't be reviewing this holiday as it was a nightmare holiday for me!!!

.. but it would have been nice to visit a pub on our way from Portumna to Carrig on Shannon with some entertainment or life in them.

The towns on the shores of Lough Derg (Portumna to Killaloe) might offer more choice if you're looking for things to do at night, when not on the boat, e.g. Terryglass, Dromineer, Mountshannon.

Back