Email working but Internet not working

Jimmy Mook

Hope someone can help me here. There is a pc that is connected to the web via a Eircom Netopia wireless modem. The user can send and receive emails through Outook Express but when she launches Internet Explorer it just hangs without connecting to the web. The connection settings under IE are set to an old Eircom25 dial up setting. I cant understand why she can use her email client (which is set to use the IE connection settings) but not the Internet. Any help most appreciated.

What version of IE? Does any other browser work? Or any other internet connectivity at all? Is there a firewall running? Could you uninstall and reinstall IE maybe?

Clubman, she is using IE6. There is no other browser on the pc. There is no firewall running. I thought about reinstalling IE alright, but i didnt want to in case she lost connectivity to her email. She said it happened after she ren a defrag and tried to download the latest pattern file from Norton, but that might have nothing to do with it.

Why not install something like Firefox and see if that works? Or upgrade to IE7 (you can always roll back if necessary if I recall correctly).

Not using IE at the moment, but if I remember correctly, you just change the connection settings from being dial up to LAN.

INn the Internet Options-> connections make sure that you are not setup to always dialup.....you should have never dial a connection

Back