email, scam warning

johnjoda

Hi all, i received email from eircom yesterday the content briefly stated that eircom were updating all email accounts and to reply with my user name, password, date of birth, country or territory. anyone not responding within 7 days will have there account suspended. i stupidly did reply, and after sleeping on it, i called eircom this morning and they confirmed that this email was not generated by eircom and requested i fax them a copy of the email immediately. what would be the worst that could happen? any info would be welcome thanks in advance

Re: email, scam warning!!!!!!!

get them to change all your passwords immediately , tell them to put a note on your account that someone has your date of birth, country and anything else that was on the form and that they are never to use them as validation on your account....

Re: email, scam warning!!!!!!!

johnjoda.
There really is no hope for us if Eircom were only becoming aware of that particular Email scam on your phone call yesterday because that particular Email has been doing the rounds for weeks past. You recovered just in time and hopefully no harm will befall you as a result. No doubt you'll know soon enough if you've made a bad connection.

I'm no expert in scams and do my level best to avoid all suspect Emails but one thing they seem to have in common is that while purporting to come from branch of big business, they are usually very poorly written. I do acknowledge tho' that the one you refer to was reasonably well constructed. But for all the trouble we have with big business in it's various forms, I think it's true to say that they generally hire people who can write and spell.. That's something the spammers have trouble doing.
It's good to sound a warning tho'.

eircom have been aware for some time of scam emails circulating, there's a warning on their support site advising customers of same.

I haven't seen the e-mail and I'm not an eircom customer so maybe I'm missing something obvious but what could someone do with your eircom account details?

I haven't seen the e-mail and I'm not an eircom customer so maybe I'm missing something obvious but what could someone do with your eircom account details?

Read your emails and obtain confidential information in them.

eg if you sent your bank an email.

I would basically get all your bank accounts/credit cards changed as your details have been compromised.

The one thing to look out for is the address that appears on the bottom of your screen. It's usually a giveaway.

The other thing is never to click on the links. always go directly to the site

Teachi - I'm living in the past !!! Only connected Eircom with Landlines. (I'm a hotmail man myself)

The email is supposedly from "EIRCOM ACCOUNT USER" but the actual email address sending it is <[email protected]>. The grammar/syntax is poor - probably from someone who speaks English as a foreign language.
Eircom haven't sent a mail shot warning users of the scam. . . . why?

Eircom themselves engage in very bad practices putting it nicely.

The email is supposedly from "EIRCOM ACCOUNT USER" but the actual email address sending it is <[email protected]>. The grammar/syntax is poor - probably from someone who speaks English as a foreign language.
Eircom haven't sent a mail shot warning users of the scam. . . . why?

Because of the vast amount of coverage that phishing already gets? Because for 99% of users the warning is entirely superfluous and it could be interpreted as spam? Many users may have opted out of receiving communications from eircom, or data protection restrictions may prevent it?

Plus sending an email warning about an email based scam may be counter productive.

I get these "Scam eMails" and we are told not to open an eMail if you do not know who it is from. Banks ect. have told me this. That has been my practice up to a few weeks ago when Eircom changed the type of eMail I receive. I was told it has more capacity ect. The PROBLEM with it is: When I Login the eMails open themselves. Has anybody come across this?
I contacted Eircom a number of weeks ago and they said they would look into the matter. They also said they were hoping for positive feedback to their new eMail site.

Back