Email Hijacked

Cantona7

Hi all
We are a small company who have a .com address registered but not in use.(no website active) From this monday this address has been hijacked and is sending spam mail globally from this address,, ie somebody@theproductname.com etc .. now every day my mail box is full of mails from mail delivery messages of undelivered mail.
How can i stop this happening..

Our company website is a different web address. When we registered the above name we asked that any mail be forwarded to our company site. I turned this off yesterday but the spam is still coming in today!

any thoughts..

as you can tell i am not a tech person!!

thanks

my advice is GET a tech person, the mail is probably not hijacked but spoofed but you never never know

There may not be a lot you can do if somebody say in china is sending out spam using your domain as the sending address.

As 2Pack said get in techie to look at the bounces, if they include the original mails the ip address can be traced and with any luck they can contact the isp and get them to stop.

The other option is to get whoever hosts your dns to remove the MX (mail exchange) records for your domain - but that means you won't get any mail to your domain, you could do this as a temporary measure until the spammer decides to use another domain.

Alternatively it may be a virus on your end thats sending out these mails, a lot of them have their own smtp engine so you won't actually be able to see what was sent

paddyc said:
Alternatively it may be a virus on your end thats sending out these mails, a lot of them have their own smtp engine so you won't actually be able to see what was sent
That's certainly what I'd be checking for first off. See the "clean PC" thread pinned at the top of this forum for more on how to deal with viruses etc.

Thanks for the replies..

i can see on most of the mails being sent that the original message sent was offering "enhancement" products or other miracle potions..!!

i have asked that the mail be redirected to a redundant address so at least my outlook box is not full of this rubbish.

We are due an IT upgrade so will incorporate this in the spec.

Cheers All

Great site!

Back