Email account hacked....

Ro1sin

Does anybody know if a bebo account was hacked into and an email taken from it is this 1. illegal and 2. can this be used as evidence in a court??

No idea basically the owner of the account went to log in one day and the account had been deleted. When they contacted bebo about it bebo retrieved the account for them but all emails from the account where deleted and unretrievable.

Now the accused has been brought to the station with a supposed email printed out from the account? Is this legal? The person has all the correspondence from bebo confirming the account was deleted and later retrieved.

Plus the email the guard has printed out wasnt even sent by the owner of the account whoever hacked in to the account must have sent it!

I think we need more details here such as is the accused the same person as the owner of the account and how the email print out came into the possession of the Gardai.

I would doubt that a simple email printed on paper would hold up in court - anyone with even basic computer skills can do up a convincing looking email or edit an existing one to look genuine.

I'd expect that if emails are being used in evidence, the Gardai would contact the email service providers and obtain the original copy directly from them (they are obliged to keep all emails for a certain duration). The email provider would also give the Gardai the location & possibly even the ID of the individual computer that the email was sent from through tracing IP address etc. (someone with a computer background could explain this better?). I'd imagine that the Gardai would need either the owners permission or a warrant/court order to retrieve email/details from a provider.

The email provider would also give the Gardai the location & possibly even the ID of the individual computer that the email was sent from through tracing IP address etc. (someone with a computer background could explain this better?).

I would imagine this info would be irrelevant since the email was sent from Bebo which can be accessed from any PC, such as in an internet cafe. Hence, knowing the IP address of the PC doesnt prove anything....I'm assuming the email was sent from Bebo by the "hacker", as opposed to received on Bebo, or have it got it backwards?

I would imagine this info would be irrelevant since the email was sent from Bebo which can be accessed from any PC, such as in an internet cafe. Hence, knowing the IP address of the PC doesnt prove anything....I'm assuming the email was sent from Bebo by the "hacker", as opposed to received on Bebo, or have it got it backwards?

Agreed, but you do get a time and location. All it takes is for the the account owner to prove that they were not at this location at the time specified, which in most cases, can be very easy e.g. may have been in work at time message was sent from internet cafe 20 miles away or may have witnesses or even physical proof that they were at another location. Time & location may also turn out to be the work place or home address of a specific individual. May also have been sent from abroad which may eliminate the owner.

I would be more concerned about being brought to the station etc - was the person placed under arrest ?

From the email Bebo should be able to get the exact time the account was logged into and the source ip being used by whoever logged in (assuming they keep logs). This ip can then be traced back by whatever ISP the end user logged into bebo with to see where they were / what isp account they used.

Think a court order is required for Bebo and whatever ISP was used for them to be able to give the info to the guards.

Back