Electronic vehicular tracking devices

mercury16

Bought a second hand horse trailer...... IFOR Williams......... have a mate a guard and he told me that a load of these get stolen from yards every year....... looking to see if I get it electronically tagged, so that if it's stolen i can track it...... is this;

1. Possible
2. Legal....(its my property)
3. Practical.... cost and equipment wise??

1. Possible - Yes but my experience is having them factory fitted on vehicles with 12v batteries (performance cars) as the transponders need power. This is not like chipping a dog, cow or horse where you scan the animal with a reader - in order to locate and track the vehicle it must broadcast a strong signal to the nearest GPS / phone-mast so it needs a bit more oomph than a little button-cell battery supplies.
2. Legal....(its my property) Yes - its legal for cars / lorries / boats.
3. Practical.... cost and equipment wise?? This part I can't answer as the lack of a battery is not an issue I've encountered before.

Have you considered a more practical solution being purchasing a 'DENVER' boot, otherwise known as a wheel clamp. You might require a really good model as well as a very good strong lock. A good model with a good lock for approx €250 versus a tracking device of approx €1,500 plus sim card plus the power problem.

Back