ElectriSave Electricity Monitor

JonG

Anyone use the ElectriSave electricity monitor to keep an eye on your ESB bill??
I'm thinking about getting one, but would be interested in any first hand experience.

Thanks
Jon

You can buy similar plug in gadgets on eBay too.

Although you can just as easily monitor your overall electricity usage at the main meter at no extra cost. And you can easily estimate the cost of running each individual appliance give the wattage information provided (usually on the appliance) and how long it is switched on (allowing for thermostatic control which will usually limit the actual electricity usage below the maximum kWh rating).

And the plug in monitors are no use for wired in loads (e.g. cookers, storage heaters, immersions etc.).

I have one in use, handy for seeing when lights have been left on, and for seeing how much powering certain items cost on an hourly basis when in use (if you put in the esb cost), also handy to see the background power usage of your house when nothing is on apart from standby items and clocks, timers etc.

I used an efergy monitor and find it very useful. It does show electricity usage when oven is switched on and immersion kicks in (on timer).

I keep the little display unit in the kitchen and can see at all times how many kw I am using. You really get a much better idea of what applicances use what electricity. I have also switched to a dual tarrif meter and use the timed delay feature of our diswasher and washing machine to kick off after midnight. I also only kick off the immersion at 8am before the day rate kicks in at 9am.

In my view have the meter display in the kitchen is much more beneficial that going outside and opening the meter cover. I am also certain there is not way my wife would bother with that but having it in the kitchen means everyone is aware of whats happening.

The efergy unit also allow you to view usage over the past (5 or 10 days)

Chances are you should know a priori what the likely heavy loads are in your home e.g. electric storage or other heating, electric water heating, high wattage cooking appliances etc. Of course some lower wattage appliances which run all or most of the time (e.g. non A[AA?] rated fridge/freezers etc.) may also contribute significantly to the bill. While these monitoring devices might be handy and may not cost that much if you shop around they really are not, in my opinion, an essential item for monitoring your electricity usage in order to identify where potential savings could be made.

I use a monotor also ( called a " Watson " i think ) I attached it to the power supply for my heat pump for a few months las winter to check the consumption was in line with what the suppliers had said. Has a portable monitor with constant readout and you can also download historical data and look at etc.

Now have it connected to the main supply cable and you can see the change when kettle tumble dryer etc are switched on Find it very useful for educating the family and others about the cost of the heavy appliances

have visions of Mrs Clubman standing over a open meterbox's door in lashing rain on a dark winters night with a small torch counting the revolutions of the meter. While Mr Clubman is inside boiling the kettle and asking her how many it took. When on to the toaster, washing machine, fridge etc. Everything being carefully tabulated in a Linux freeware spreadsheet.

Actually our meter box is under the front door canopy so she doesn't get (too) wet. I might also issue her with a (possibly Linux based) PDA so that I can email instructions to her from the kitchen.

I don't think you *need* one to reduce your energy consumption, but
- I'd like one, they're a bit cool in that geeky way (probably the wrong reason to get one)
- If there are multiple people in a family, can help. So clubman, you may know, but will the clubman child know? It's a good visual indicator for them to watch
- Never mind the kids, measure anything, and will tend to go down (applies to spending money, eating food, etc...)

If people want a ball park figure for appliances, look as clubman said, look at the rating on the appliance. But I also found the appliance calculator on www.esb.ie

By the way - not everyone has easy access to their meter - I need to get the management company out. Mrs. Club may be compliant about standing outside. I'm not so sure of our management company hanging around for a full wash of clothes to finish.

By the way - not everyone has easy access to their meter - I need to get the management company out.
Really? How come? I thought that most if not all house/apartment holders had easy access once they had one of those triangular keys for opening the meter box?