Electricity watts

Murt10

I need to buy a portable oil filled radiator. The one I'm looking at (in Alid) has 2 power settings: 2000 watts, 1000 watts.

Does anybody know how many units of electricity per hour it will use up, assuming it's on permanently?

Murt

A KilloWatt (1 unit) will cost you just over 13c (Excl. VAT and standing charge) per hour to run.

But thermostatic control will mean that it probably won't run at full pelt all of the time - i.e. a 2kW device will use a maximum of 2 units of electicity per hour but thermostatic control which will dynamically switch the element on and off as required will mean that it will most likely use less than this.

Also - the price of a unit of electricity depends on your tariff. See ESB for more on this.

Assumming the OP is on a standard domestic tarriff, the 13.25c applies. A lower tarriff (7c / Kwhr) will only power storage heaters run off special night meter.

ESB has it all here [broken link removed]

Assumming the OP is on a standard domestic tarriff, the 13.25c applies. A lower tarriff (7c / Kwhr) will only power storage heaters run off special night meter.
Isn't all electricity used (and not just that used to charge storage heaters or for immersion heating) from 23:00-08:00/00:00-09:00 winter/summer in a Goldshield/Nightsaver home through the night rate meter and thus at the lower rate? i.e. if an oil filled heater was used during those time periods then it would also be at the low rate?

AFAIK, all electricity used on a nightsaver meter qualifies for the lower rate. But you have to have this meter installed to avail of it.

[broken link removed]

Yes - I was referring to a home in which already had Nightsaver and the night meter.