Electricity to Garden Shed

Meant to come back to this ages ago & for some reason it popped back into my head today.

So given what I wanted to use in shed, electrician didn't see any need to go back to fuse board. Brought cable into kitchen & connected there.

Entire job took bit less than a days work. Total cost of materials was around €250.

All in all, pretty simple; but keep in mind that I didn't have any serious heavy duty machinery in shed.

I would swear that the socket in my garage had the electricity feed taken from the nearest socket in my house. That's what I was told by the builder. Is this possible?
Definitely and very common.

If you have the option though it’s better to go back to the board. Means that something tripping the fuse or RCD in the shed (common with wet garden equipment or damp shed) doesn’t knock off the kitchen (and possibly freezer!), you have a dedicated supply to the shed so you don’t have to worry that plugging in a welder at the same time as the kettle/toaster will be too much, you might run a heavier cable to the shed to allow for bigger equipment if you’re into say wood or metal work, you don’t know how many times the socket you loop off has been popped already etc etc.

It might be worth bearing in mind that the new Irish regs require earth leakage protection on all lighting circuits, not just sockets.

It might be worth bearing in mind that the new Irish regs require earth leakage protection on all lighting circuits, not just sockets.
Good call, has been for over a year now, if I remember correctly.

@Thirsty If you're running lighting and socket/s off that spur feed, you really should have a sub DB (small MCB board) in the shed, splitting the circuits.

Last edited:
Installation was done by fully qualified electrician; not a DIY job.

Last edited:
I did some external wiring around my garden. FWIW costs were about €20 for an external socket, then 2.5sqmm armoured (SWA) cable is about €1.50 per meter and a 20A fuse for your fuseboard will be somewhere around €25.

I'd imagine your could get an electrician to make the connections for something like €100-150 if you had all the cable in yourself. You would need to find a route for the cable from your garden shed right back to the fuseboard, which is generally near your front door. If you get the electrician to do this cable routing it will obviously add a fair bit to the cost as it will be time-consuming.
Fuse board us generally in a utility room or kitchen at the back of the house

It would be a good idea to have a small distribution box in the shed with ECB to MCBs to lights and sockets

Back