Electrican - how to go out on my own

Shooter

Hi Guys

I'm looking for some advice on what i have to do to set up business on my own. I have to join RECI but do i have to get public liability insurance and what tax forms do i have to fill out etc.

Do i have to get c2 registered

Any advice would be great

If you are currently an employee Id sugges that you stay there for the time being as self employment is far from a good place to be at the moment.
There are no houses to wire so you'd be competing with established tradesmen for bits and bobs of jobs.

Thanks johnno09 but no, i was left go by in my previous job. I am picking up a good few bits to do on my own. I would like to be able to do these jobs and anything else i get without worrying about not paying tax on it etc. i am going to apply for the Back to Work Enterprise allowance which will allow me to hang on the my social welfare payment for up to 2 years. (dont even know if i am entitled to one yet) So wondering what are the costs involved. I have all the tools and van etc, so its just the insurance and the other paper work which i dont know about.

First things first - get yourself a good accountant.

Secondly, register on a TR1 with Revenue that you are trading, for income tax purposes.

If you want to do subcontract work, you will need a C2. You can apply for this yourself - best thing is to go to your accountant.

And good luck.

Back