Electrical white goods new house

Jolly Man

Hi folks,

I put together a list at the weekend of all the electrics we need for the new house including product codes, (Dishwahers, washing machines dryer, fridges etc) was in harvey norman, can anyone recommend electrical stores i could send them to, or has anyone got good deals lately?

Hi,

There have been a few recent threads on this.

From my experience, there's always a discount to be had.

I got a price from PowerCity for a fridge freezer, dishwasher, gas hob and electric oven of about €2200 (including their online discount and a bit more on top of this). On average, they knocked about €60 - €70 off each appliance. I told them I wanted to pay €2000 for everything including delivery and the brought it down to €2090. The sales guy was very keen to get the sale but head office wouldn't authorise any more apparently.

I went to my local Harvey Norman (who had initially quoted silly prices) and they looked at my printed PC quote and brought it down to €2005 so I'm happy enough with that.

I would have preferred to buy from DID but their discounted prices were dearer than PC's undiscounted prices.

Good luck shopping!

Forgot to mention, I got them to throw in a microwave worth around €120 for free.

Last edited:
Thanks for that gnubbit, the sales man in harveys told me to get quotes and as long as its on headed paper he will beat the price for me, so im currently sending out the list!
Some good furniture in harveys too if i could deal with them might be some nice savings.

Thanks for that gnubbit, the sales man in harveys told me to get quotes and as long as its on headed paper he will beat the price for me, so im currently sending out the list!
Some good furniture in harveys too if i could deal with them might be some nice savings.

What part of the country are you in?

You may find that the stores will only price match on the exact same models. This is usually fine to compare DID & PC but Harvey Normans don't seem to buy through Irish distributors so have different models. Still worth a shot. It can depend on who you get on the day as well. Look for an experienced member of staff. I found I got a better deal the second time I checked for quotes from PC with the same goods.

In cork/wterford

Try Telfords in Portlaoise. They have a brand new Electrical Store with all the brands. i got a good deal from them last year and they even delivered for me although I'm in dublin and took away my old appliances.
Phone number is 057 86 72700 and they are beside the GAA ground (stay clear on match days!)

Hi Jollyman

We got all ours from Soundstore in Waterford City. No connection.

Depending on which brand (most of ours are DeDietrich) you can also source from the continent - but in our case SS matched those prices as we had such a big order.

Good luck
SSE

I recently purchased the following:
Cooker, hob, hood, washing machine, dish washer and fridge freezer.

Before I started I had my mind made up on what brands I did and did not want.
I visited the big chains like B&Q, Power City, DID and Harvey Norman, as well as independents like Knowles.
Overall, DID had the better brands (based on internet research, mainly the CAI's associate in the UK, Which).
I bought the cooker, hob, hood (all Neff) and dishwasher (Electrolux) here (~1,900, high-spec electric cooker). I bought the washing machine (Zanussi) and fridge freezer () in Power City (~1,200).
Where there were identical brands in both DID and Power City, the displayed price in DID was less. However, for those goods I purchased the discount in Power City was greater (a cash value) than in DID (7%).
I got the impression that what you would pay in DID was the same as Power City, at the end of the day.

Nowhere collects the old applicance for free. You pay for this as part of the PRFC, usually €5 for these type applicances.

def best value and after sales service in Dwyers if you are in Cork. No connection just bought all my stuff there over last 10 years or so as have family. Got better prices there for stuff for new kitchen than I could get in sale in soundstore, harvey normans etc.

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to revive this thread as I'm going to be buying a Fridge/Freezer, Condenser Drier, Oven and Hob in the near future.

I've found ones on the Powercity website that come to about €1200 including delivery.

Just wondering what sort of a discount I should be aiming to bargain for on these?

Also if you have any other ideas on where to get cheap white goods let me know.

I'm going up north with a van to get furniture from IKEA and could, in theory, get stuff up there (I've read there are savings to be had) but the lack of warranty valid in Ireland would put me off.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

I recently bought all my kitchen appliances (fridge/freezer, dishwasher, oven, hob and hood) from PowerCity after getting quotes from DID, Harvey Norman and B&Q. They were deffinitely the cheapest and gave me great discount. I also bought a washer/dryer from them the other day and was very happy as they gave me a bit of extra discount on a single item.

I got a lot of furniture from Harvey Norman and its not only beautiful but a great value too - large sofa, coffee table, dining table and 6 chairs, king size bed, 2 x bedside lockers and a tall boy for just under €5k! And their customer service has been excellent so far (one of the chairs came in with a broken leg and they replaced it immediately and when I wanted two extra chairs they sourced them for me in no time)! Plus, they delivered everything other than a sofa the next day.

I have no affiliation with either of the companies other than being a satisfied customer.

Back