Electrical socket in bathrooms

Dinging

Hi All,

Currently refurbishing the main bathroom at home and also putting in a ring circuit into the upstairs bedrooms as there is currently only 1 socked per room. What I want to know is it safe to put in a socket into the bathroom. My wife would like to be able to blow dry her hair etc in the bathroom. I can position the socket that will be far enough away from the sink, toilet and bath for this purpose i.e. approx 6 to 8 feet away.

Thanks.

I doubt you'll find any electrician would recommend this. Shaver sockets are the only ones allowed in a bathroom, and that is for a reason. Having a socket within touching distance of a water source is a definitie no no.

I think shaver sockets run at 110 volts, and maybe if you could find either a hairdryer or suitable adaptor that works off 110 volts you could use a hairdryer in there without the dangers of 220volts getting near water.

Shaver sockets use a special isolating transformer often tapped to provide both 110 and 220V. These aren't rated to take anything as heavy on power as a hairdryer. Only fixed hair dryers which deliver the air through a flexible hose are allowed in bathrooms.

Bottom line, DO NOT put a socket anywhere in a bathroom, get enough condensation in there and you're asking for trouble. No electrician should do this, it's a breach of wiring regs.
Leo

you would not be insured if you put a 230 volt socket with a three pin outlet in the bathroom cause it is not zone for it .a shaver light unit would be the only way out

Back